Mini Brownie Wedding Cakes

About a month ago I got my hands on the new Martha Stewart Wedding Book that is filled to the brim with gorgeous photos, recipes, and techniques. This book is a definite buy for anyone who is into cakes, party planning, or weddings. I would highly recommend it! One of the photos in the book caught my attention because it was so adorably cute, and yet seemed easy at the same time…it was the mini brownie wedding cakes. Martha did a variety of designs on her brownie wedding cakes, so be sure to check the photos out in the book, but since I have been crunched for time lately I went with my favorite look and called it a day. These would make great wedding favors or a yummy bridal shower dessert…you could even ditch the wedding idea and throw a candle on top and use them as mini birthday cakes; the ideas are endless. Anyways, I hope you try these at home because they really are a ton of fun and are definitely worth the little time and effort you put into them.

img_23701.jpg

img_23661.jpg

I tried out a new brownie recipe (Double Chocolate Mocha Brownies to be exact) that I found from epicurious.com and I actually got really good reviews from my taste testers (aka my family & friends), so I would recommend trying it if you get a chance. My friend said that she loved that there was chocolate chips still in the brownie…just a side note, I used mini chocolate chips instead of regular size ones since I thought they would cut better with my cookie cutters. I also baked the brownies in a slightly large pan than they recommended…a half sheet pan to be exact, although it didn’t really make too much of a difference…they would’ve been thin brownies either way. So the first step is to bake your brownies and let them cool. Once they are cool, you can cut out your desired shapes. As you can see from my photos, my brownies were a little thin, so I stacked two of the same size brownie circles on top of each other and sort of smushed them together. You can play around with the exact size dimensions to make YOUR perfect brownie cake.

img_23291.jpg

img_23311.jpg

img_23341.jpg

Once each round has been formed you need to lightly brush the cut edges with water. Then dip the brownie rounds in sanding sugar. After the rounds have been rolled in sanding sugar you can add a small filling, frosting, or just a tiny dab of plain corn syrup to the center of the rounds so that they stick when you stack them on top of each other. Note: make sure the side that was on the bottom during baking is now on top, since it is much smoother than the other side and will make your brownie cakes look crisp and clean. Now your brownie cake is technically done, but you can add other details to it if you want. I piped on small dots of royal icing and added dragees on top so that they made a monogram, but try anything and have some fun with it!

img_23321.jpg

img_23361.jpg

You can package the mini brownie cakes in these plastic boxes from Garnish and they would be perfect for a gift. I also added a color cupcake liner at the bottom of the box to make the cake look even more cute. Hope you are inspired to try Martha’s idea like I was!

img_23601.jpg

Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to “Mini Brownie Wedding Cakes”

1. Tartelette says:

How cute! That’s a great wedding favor! Gotta love Martha for her fun ideas!

2. Linda says:

wow! I love your site! your work is beautiful!
    I´m totally IN LOVE with your silhouette cookies… so stylish!
    keep it up :-)

3. Cute. I have that book as well. I am itching to try and copy the Damask cake. Maybe I can do a small version of it but youre right. Its a great book!

4. admin says:

Thanks for the comments! By the way All Purpose Girl, if you try out the cake let me know…I would love to see the pictures!

5. Gigi says:

I agree, I love her new book. All my friends receive birthday cakes as gifts from me. And her new book is full of ideas & inspiration. Thank you also for the link on the boxes, I was twice as much at a baking supply store. Love all your ideas! :)

6. PinkCookieMonster says:

Dear MySweetAndSaucy Creator and Admin,

I was hoping to find an email address as this is more of an enquiry than a comment (except that I absolutely love your site :)), and I am hoping that you can help me.

I am a freelance editor based in the Middle East and have finally decided to be brave and turn my passion for cookies and cakes into a home-run business. I would like to offer creative logo/photo cookies (also called cookie graphics) and am having a very difficult time sifting through all the companies and websites that offer the necessary printers, edible inks and edible paper.

I would like to offer great-looking prints without having to compromise on the quality or taste of the cookies.

My question for you is: can you give me (a simple yet passionate home-baker), any advice at all on which printer, ink and paper to use? Some papers are said to be better than others, some edible ink brands worse than others, some printers more professional than others, etc…

PLEASE, can you offer any advice or suggest where I could seek and receive independent expert advice that will help me make an informed choice for my hopefully soon-to-be new business?

ANY advice, pointers, suggestions at all would be much appreciated!

All best and thanks for a great and inspiring site,

PinkCookieMonster

7. Wedding DJ Boston…

I Wish I had time to keep up with my own blog like you do. Love it….

8. Kelly, says:

I agree with everybody else: awesome story.! Much food for thought… It really made my day. Thank you.

9. Erica B. says:

Thanks for sending me to your site from Flickr.. I am so going to try these. I love your site, your great!

10. Amanda says:

Hey I love this idea? I am the maid of honor in my mother’s wedding and I want to make this treats for her bridal shower. Where did you get the cutters?

11. weddingsyd says:

i love martha..i always watched her everytime.lots of ideas, tips.glad ive stumbled your articles.thanks for sharing this..thumbs up on SU..

12. K D says:

my friend is getting married next month in july. i had a taste test over the weekend for these brownie cakes & they were awesome! she add sugar to the mini pansies & that was good, also.

this is a fun recipe! YUM!!

13. Fiona says:

Mini wedding cakes seem to be all the rage at the moment and I have to say I absolutely love them! Particularly involving chocolate mmmmmmmmmmm….

14. Cindy says:

Mmmm!! … chocolate cake looks delicious!!

15. This idea is just too cute!