Mona Vie Wine Bottle Cake

This past weekend was definitely a crazy one for me! I had a cooking class for 16 people at my church Rockharbor on Thursday night, an order for 135 Monogram wedding cake cookies on Saturday morning and a wine party for 20 people that I catered and did the cake for on Saturday night. Lets just say I got about 4 1/2 hours sleep Friday night… Anyways, everything turned out great for the most part, but unfortunately I didn’t get as many pictures of my food as I wanted to. The one thing I did get some pictures of was the Mona Vie Wine Bottle Cake I did for the dinner party. Mona Vie isn’t really wine, but rather a health/energy drink that the clients I did the party for sell. The juice comes in a wine bottle though, so I thought it would be fun to do an actual “Mona Vie” cake for them. The cake was a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and raspberries and have a chocolate buttercream frosting. As you can see, I stacked the cake in rectangles pretty high and then carved a wine bottle shape into the first layer of cake. I then covered the cake in buttercream and covered the wine bottle with fondant. The sides of the cake were made with modeling chocolate, so that the cake looked like it was sitting in a wine crate. The packaging was made out of white chocolate shavings. Overall, I was pretty happy with my first wine bottle cake and am excited to get another chance to make one. Hope you enjoy the photos!

img_28961.jpg

Here are some photos of the beginning.

img_28851.jpg

img_28861.jpg

Here are two more photos of the finished product.

img_28921.jpg

img_29001.jpg

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “Mona Vie Wine Bottle Cake”

1. Aran says:

Beautiful cake once again. I know what you mean about not taking enough photos. When I was working at the fine dining restaurant at my last job, we made beautiful desserts but I never had time to take pictures and the lighting was horrible in the kitchen. This is why I like having the blog because I can take my time with the styling of the food. Gorgeous!

2. Cakespy says:

Lovely cake–and I love the creativity and whimsy of using the flakes as the packing material. Love details like that. And the typeface is perfect! Bravo!

3. Irene says:

Chocolate cake… with chocolate mousse… AND raspberries? *Pick up drool off the floor* It’s really really cool looking, too!

4. cakewardrobe says:

This seems so time consuming but the effort is so worth it! Beautiful and elegant!

5. Kimberlee says:

I read your previous post where you said you didn’t like the taste of fondant – like many people (including me) I wanted to let you know about marshmallow fondant – which is way cheaper and tastes much better than traditional fondant. I’ve used it many times and it’s exactly like working with reg. fondant. Here’s the link::: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

6. Stephanie says:

This is amazing!

7. admin says:

Thanks for your nice comments everyone! I love getting the feedback and suggestions!

8. cakebrain says:

That is totally fantastic! Your cakes are creative and inspiring!

9. kellypea says:

Wow. That is amazing! What a great idea. And what a weekend. I hear you on the not getting as many photos of your work as you’d like. Our loss, though. I would have loved to have seen those monogrammed cookies!

10. Madeline says:

Wow! That’s amazing, what a fabulous job you did!!

11. Alejandra says:

I LOVE this! I’ve been having some photography frustrations since my camera died, but wow…what a cake! That’s talent!

12. Stephanie says:

You are such an amazing baker! You impress me with your beautiful work!!!

13. Allison says:

This is a great cake! I was wondering – did you make your sides out of Fondant? I’ve seen other cakes that have made the wine crate out of chocolate, and I’m looking to make a similar cake and wondering what would work better. Thanks!