Fun with Cakes!

Well since my gallery of tiered or wedding cakes isn’t as full as my sugar cookie gallery I decided I better do a couple more cakes over the next few weeks. Since I didn’t have any major event I decided to test out a few designs on a dummy cake (styrofoam cake layers). I wanted to get the most bang for my buck so I decided to cover one cake dummy in white fondant and then try out a few different designs on that one cake. The first two cake looks are quite simple, but I love that look. If you have a really nicely covered cake and a beautiful flower then I feel like you should showcase them. This look is quite simplistic and modern, but for some brides it might be the look they’re looking for. To get the flower to stay in the cake I inserted a skewer up the flower and then lodged the other side of the skewer into the cake dummy. For more simplistic, modern designs check out April Reed. She is by far one of my favorite cake designers and I am in awe of her talent!

img_30281.jpg

So as you can see not too much difference between these two, but I wanted to see which flower and background I liked better with the brown.  Let me know you opinion!

img_30301.jpg

After trying those two simple cake designs I thought I would try a little different design.  I get my background paper from Paper Source or Martha Stewart’s line at Michael’s normally.  Last time I was at Paper Source I fell in love with this background.  It is so funky and fun and it inspired me to make a cake design about it.

img_30481.jpg

I simply rolled out my colored fondant and then impressed it with Clear Stamps by Autumn Leaves.  I also brushed the fondant with luster dust and then cut out the circles with a small circle cutter.  I attached the fondant circles with a little dab of water.

img_30461.jpg

To make the gold swirls simply pipe on dots of royal icing and then adhere the gold dragees.

img_30471.jpg

img_30551.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “Fun with Cakes!”

1. Ammy says:

Oh so pretty (prefer the red flower myself – but it might just be that I love that base!). I wish I could get metallic dragees here, seems they’re not quite legal to sell in California… :o(

2. [...] admin is truly a fantastic source of tangible and fascinating information. Fun with Cakes!Here’s a brief overview: [...]

3. Chelle says:

Such beautiful work! I love the last one!!

4. linda says:

Definitely the one with the green flower!

5. Cyndi says:

My vote is for the 1st cake. I *love* the pop of the bright green flower because it is just begging for your attention! What is the name of the flower? The cake with the pink rose definitely has a classic, romantic look to it and is just as beautiful.

Thank you for sharing April Reed’s site. Her designs are absolutely stunning! I love her idea of a studded truffle cake. So simple, yet so indulgent! I am definitely part of the “less is more” camp.

6. admin says:

Thanks so much ladies for your opinions…love to hear them! I unfortunately don’t know the name of the flower Cyndi…I just thought it was so beautiful when I was at my florist so I picked it up. Next time I will try to remember to get names =)

7. Artamuse says:

I love the cake with the green flower…it is really very elegant.

8. Mandy says:

They are all gorgeous! I love the simple look; you are so talented!

9. Aran says:

Gorgeous as well melody! Number 1 it is!

10. Linda says:

green flower is my winner!!!

beautiful cakes!

11. admin says:

I think the green mum flower might be the winner…thanks for the input ladies!

12. Landa says:

OMG I love the 3rd cake. That is such a cute design.

13. cakebrain says:

I love the simplicity of the wide satin brown ribbon and the contrast of the bright green flower. It’s lovely!

14. wenday says:

i simply love the cake with the blue and green circles! a simple design but it looks adorable! (and it somehow reminds me of polka dots, which i love)

one suggestion is that maybe you can use a different colour of dragees? cause in my opinon maybe silver will go better with hues of blue :D

15. admin says:

Thanks of the suggestion Wendy! I do agree that silver would go great with these colors too. I thought gold was an interesting choice too, but I was trying to match the paper background theme which had those three colors. I think silver would be a great add to make it more of an ocean theme! Thanks again!

16. [...] on the yellow dots to give them a different kind of look. You can see this process in a previous post.  I feel like this would be a good cake for a beginner to try out since the look cake be easily [...]