Mini Cakes for a Beautiful Bride-To-Be

This past week has been full of baking, baking, and more baking, so look forward to many posts this coming week. The first of many posts is probably my favorite! This past weekend I had the pleasure of making more treats for my friend Karrie’s second bridal shower. This time the shower was in San Diego, CA and it was at Tea Upon Chatsworth. I had never been to a tea house before and had an absolutely wonderful time. Tea and yummy treats…what could be better! I was asked to make about 40 bridal shower favors for the ladies and decided that trying out mini cakes was the route I was going to take. My wonderful friend April from culinary school came over to help me with the project, but when midnight came she had to leave and that left me to finish them…lets just say that my head didn’t hit the pillow until around 4:30am…I don’t think I would’ve finished without April! I do have to say that I still ended up having a lovely day at the shower, even on 2 1/2 hours sleep, and I was pretty happy with how my little cakes turned out. The circle cakes were chocolate cake with chocolate mousse buttercream and fresh strawberries and the square cakes were buttermilk cake with passion fruit mousse and fresh strawberries. I took photos at my house and also at the shower, so sorry for the overload of photos, but I love taking pictures of my goodies…please let me know your favorite photo, so I can see which one I should put on my official website!

img_32691.jpg

To make them I baked the cake in 13 x 9 pans and then used cookie cutters to cut circles out of the cooled cake. I used a serrated bread knife to make the squares out of the other cake. One I had enough cut outs for each cake to have two layers I piped on a outer ring of vanilla buttercream with a piping bag on the bottom layer and then piped in the filling for the cakes and added the sliced strawberries. Next I placed the second cake layer on top and piped buttercream around the cake before I smoothed it down. Piping the buttercream on the mini cakes is easier than trying to frost them completely with only a offset spatula because the cakes are not as stable as larger ones. After covering the cakes with buttercream I rolled out fondant, I prefer using Satin Ice Fondant, and smoothed it over the cakes. (Side note: I am really happy with Satin Ice Fondant and got many compliments on how the fondant tasted…since many people have a mad mindset about it. Also I have tried marshmallow fondant, but found that I didn’t like the consistency as much as regular fondant…so I’m sticking with Satin Ice). After the fondant is on the cake and smoothed I use a pizza wheel to go around the bottom edge of the cake and cut off the excess.

img_32481.jpg

img_32461.jpg

I then adhered different color ribbon around the bottom of each cake with a dab of buttercream. I also piped three small dots of buttercream at the seam of the ribbon and then adhered three silver dragees to the buttercream dots.

img_32611.jpg

For a decorating accent I rolled out some gray fondant and then stamped the flower design onto the fondant and lust dusted the whole mini cake. As you can see in the photos I used three different flower stamps on the fondant. (For more info about these kind of stamps check out my other posts on cupcakes). I then used circle cookie cutters to cut out neat circles and adhered them to the cake with a dab of water. To package the mini cakes I used 4″x4″x4″ clear boxes, which you can get from Garnish, and tied them with different color ribbons. On some of the boxes I cut fresh button mums and stuck them underneath the ribbon.

img_32541.jpg

img_43411.jpg

img_32581.jpg

And lastly here are some more photos from the shower that were too fun not to post…hope you enjoy them!

img_42891.jpg

img_32681.jpg

img_42911.jpg

img_32721.jpg

img_43561.jpg

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Mini Cakes for a Beautiful Bride-To-Be”

1. Landa says:

You did a great job as usual. Such a talented young woman!

2. Chelle says:

These are absolutely gorgeous!

3. Cyndi says:

I love the gray & white combo…..so elegant! My favorite photo is the one directly under the pic of you and your friend wearing the cute little hats. The mum flower matches the stamped fondant and the lighting on it is perfect! I also love how the cake is a little out of focus, yet the beauty still shines through.

4. Aran says:

melody, I LOVE, LOVE, did I say LOVE… this cakes! I know I keep saying this but these are truly my favorite so far. Fantastic job! Oh and yes, I think macarons are such cute decor for cakes!

5. admin says:

So glad you liked them ladies…I guess staying up till 4:30 was worth it =)

6. Oh, these are just WAY too cute! And those hats are tres chic! I feel your 4:30 pain. Dedication can be painful can’t it??

7. RecipeGirl says:

These are beyond beautiful. Such a treasure!

8. Lei Lei says:

You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing!

9. Celine says:

this makes me want to get married all over again.

10. Stephanie says:

Absolutely beautiful! I gave you an award over at my blog, stop by and pick it up!

11. Mandy says:

These are way too cute! I could not decide on just one favorite, so I would say the first picture and the picture where there is one not in a box and on black/white paper!

12. cakewardrobe says:

so cute and pretty!!!

13. sarah says:

wow.

just…wow.

14. lunettes says:

I just hopped over here to see your site and noticed that you were the one that had done the lovely cakes this morning on tastespotting! Care to drive to Texas and do some for my shower? They’re gorgeous! :-)

15. admin says:

Wow…I am blown away by everyone’s comments…you guys are making me sooo happy! Thanks for all the feedback on the photos! I really love hearing everyone’s thought! Side Note: Wish I could drive to Texas for you Lunettes, but I like in CA…hope you have a wonderful bridal shower though!

16. Oh my! Thanks for finding me so I could find your beautiful blog. These cakes are amazing – just perfect. So sophisticated. I love the colors and the wrap with that acid green flower (chrysanthemum?).

17. cakebrain says:

Those cakes are absolutely gorgeous!

18. admin says:

Yes they are chrysanthemums or baby mums…whatever is easier to say!

19. Jana says:

I love your work! It looks perfect and you must have a lot of fun working on your pieces of art! I love them, love them, love them! I hope I can make them at least half so beautiful as yours looked – I would be happy! ………..Just BEAUTIFUL!……..

20. Alejandra says:

These are beautiful!! Congrats on a great job.

21. Jana (rhodes island, Greece) says:

Melody, your job is absolutely the most beautiful I have ever seen! I love every detail on your cakes. especially these ones! They are my private Number 1 of yours!

You are very very very talented! I wish I could do the same with my cakes. I will try!

22. Ingrid says:

They are beautiful. Do you make the them to sell. If so please let me know my son is getting married in April.

23. I found this post very interesting – keep up the good work ^^ I’m also interested, which WP theme have you got at the moment? I want to know if it’s custom or not.

24. kris says:

hello, I love what you showed. My daughter and I are starting a business/ We do cupcakes great but we thought we would try mini cakes. Boy we didnt know where to start. we made cakes but only used one layer didnt know how to put filling in them, tried to crumb coat YA RIGHT. It was a miss. We almost gave up and then I went online to get info on how to make these and here I am. We are using marshmellow fondant but we will try your suggestion too. So from what I read we should make two layer cake fill the the first layer put the second layer on and then use the cookie cutters to make the shapes? Also put buttercream in a pastry bag and put the buttercream on the cakes that way and then smooth them out. If I am missing anything please let me know. We thought this was going to be easy but I guess we didnt know what we were in for. Please help
    Thanks

25. Sandra says:

Hi there!
    may I ask you where did you get the clear packaging for those very beautiful cakes?
    would be grateful for an answer!! :)
    best, sandra