Another Cooking Class

This past week I got the chance to teach another cooking class at my church Rockharbor. I teach these classes once every other month as a ministry and we always have a great time. This class’s theme was “Perfect Party Foods and Desserts”. I got a lot of inspiration for this menu from fellow bloggers and decided to make Bakerella’s Cupcake Bites and The Pioneer Lady’s Fancy Flower Pots. I wanted to spice these desserts up a bit by using mostly homemade components instead of using store-bought ones…although these would be delicious either way. Everyone had a blast making these desserts and I was thrilled with their creations. I also had to try some out at home after the class so I could have some photos for my portfolio too! For the savory component of the class we made Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps, but sadly I don’t have any really good photos of those, but trust me, they were delicious! Well, to start off this long post I will begin with the photos of the Fancy Flower Pot desserts. This is the dessert I made the Chocolate Peanut-Butter and Apricot-Pistachio Ice Creams for. I also bought some quality store-bought ice cream and gelato so people would have a variety to choose from. Here are my photos to give you an idea of the process, but I would recommend going to The Pioneer Lady’s website for full instructions.

img_42551.jpg

I tried out two new recipes from Warren Brown’s new book Cake Love, his Vanilla Pound Cake and his Chocolate Pound Cake. Both of these recipes are definitely blog worthy and I will be posting them shortly. To start off the process, you stick the circle cut-outs of pound cake in the bottom and then insert a straw. Then you place your choice of ice cream in and freeze.

45.jpg

img_42461.jpg

Now for your choice of dirt…I pulverized some of Trader Joe’s Chocolate Pistachio Toffee, some oreos, and then bought some chocolate covered sunflower seeds too.

img_42471.jpg

img_42491.jpg

Then you find your hidden straw and insert your flower into it.

img_42571.jpg

bike.jpg

Here are some photos of the ladies with their finished flower pots.

coffee1.jpg

img_42361.jpg

Now onto the Cupcake Bites!  I don’t really have step-by-step photos for this one, so I would just recommend checking out Bakerella’s blog for the instructions.  I used Sweet Melissa’s Red Velvet Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting for these cupcake bits and boy were they delicious.  I will post this recipe, along with the pound cakes soon.  Well, here are the photos!

img_42151.jpg

img_42171.jpg

img_42271.jpg

img_42261.jpg

img_42201.jpg

img_42301.jpg

img_42181.jpg

img_42321.jpg

img_42871.jpg

Tags: , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “Another Cooking Class”

1. dhanggit says:

i always believed that teaching is one of the most rewarding career. I used to be a teacher and i love sharing things with my students. when you see them grow and evolve..but with your case im so jealous , you get to enjoy to things i love love to do: cookign and teaching. It must be fun to do this! your photos are witnesses of this. what lovely creations your class did!!

2. Lori says:

I have made thee beofre But WOW you really kicked them up a notch. Very clever! You have really cute ideas!

3. noble pig says:

How fun! Just adorable!

4. Madeline says:

Yes! I remember seeing the Pioneer Lady’s and thought is was such a clever idea. I love the way you’ve presented yours, very cute. Those cupcake bites would be dangerous in my hands!

5. RecipeGirl says:

I’ll bet everyone loved these two projects. Good choices!!

6. Zenchef says:

It looks great but what’s even better is that you won the mystery basket giveaway on my blog. You lucky you! Feel free to contact me at your convenience so i can arrange shipping. Congratulations!

7. Prudence says:

Looks like SO much fun!! I would love the opportunity to teach! LOVE the flower pots! What a GREAT idea!

8. farida says:

What a great idea! Looks like all of you had a lot of fun baking:)

9. Jenny says:

How fun does all of this look?!!! I would have really enjoyed this class. those flower pots and little cupcakes are adorable. Thanks for sharing!

10. Lore says:

Sure looks like everyone had tons of fun, it makes me wish I was there! Just look at the cute pots :) . Thanks for the shout out for this recipe and for visiting my site.

11. Jeena says:

You have a very beautiful blog. The pictures are so colourful. :-)

12. Tipperella says:

So cute! I’ve made flower pot cakes as well. You bake the cake in the flower pot, add frosting on top, and then top with chopped up oreos and stick the flower in. An idea if you want to make it for something that you won’t be able to freeze them.

13. Rosie says:

Looks like everyone had an amazing time and such wonderful bakes :D

14. Sara (Sis) says:

Oh my gosh those flower pots are absolutely beautiful. I need to come to a class one of these days, they look sooooo fun. Everyone has such a huge smile on their face…they are so proud of what they have made. Great job Melly.

15. cakewardrobe says:

Come to NY and teach me!

16. Looks like you all had fun. Those pots are to DIE for!! And I have been drooling over Bakerella, I need to make those sometime.

17. Azura says:

That’s creative and , the soil is made with my favourite nutter.very nice.

P.S:I found your blog on Zen Chef’s ,congrats!.I have to tell you that its nice to read your blog its like love at first sight.This is sooo in my blogroll(I hope you won’t mind) and when the time comes you are sooo… making my wedding cake.

18. admin says:

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas you guys!

19. i’m in love with the flowerpots.

my grandma-in-law’s bday is this weekend and i’m in charge of cake. i was going to just do a homemade ice cream cake, but she would FLIP for those flowerpots.

20. Tartelette says:

I fell in love with TJs Roasted Pistachio Toffee last year…problem is there is not TJs where Iive!!
    It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

21. Ivy says:

Brilliant flower pots! :)

22. Oh my goodnes! I Stumbled Upon your blog. I’m going to have to go back and read the whole article, because I couldn’t get past the “Rock Harbor” without writing a comment. I have to ask, is this the Costa Mesa Rock Harbor? If so, I have been there twice! When we go down to Disneyland, we go to Rock Harbor for church. We really like it there!

Great post too! I want to try out those little cupcakes. And the flowerpots look like they would be a lot of fun too.

Take care,
    Angie

23. Shaw Girl says:

These look fabulous! I’m working on ideas for a friend’s bridal shower and these really look like a great idea!

24. Louise says:

Those classes just look to be really fun. Love the flower pots.