Coconut Macadamia Nut Tart with Passion Fruit Cream

Flipping through the pages of Bon Appetit a while back I found a recipe that intrigued me, so as always I ripped the page out of magazine and placed it on my ever growing pile of “must-try recipes”.  Since I have been on my passion fruit craze lately I decided to try it out, but I wanted to make it my own and change up the recipe.  I love macadamia nuts and graham cracker crusts so I thought I would swap out their regular sugar tart crust for this combo…let me tell you that I am glad that I did!  That was not the only change I made to the recipe…they wanted shredded coconut in the coconut cream filling, but something in my head kept telling me that the mouth feel just wouldn’t be right (at least for me) with pieces of coconut in it, so I decided to just have the smooth coconut cream filling.  I also always like trying my desserts out in different forms so that I can see if they would work as a mini dessert or just an individual dessert size.  I love minis and always try to find recipes that can turn into mini delights.  This recipe performed beautifully with both sizes.  The flavors were amazing and definitely a keeper for future uses!

img_34291.jpg

Coconut Macadamia Nut Tart with Passion Fruit Cream

Crust:

1 cup macadamia nuts

3 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 30 crackers)

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted

pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Toast macadamia nuts a baking sheet for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown and aromatic.  Let cool and then coarsely chop.

In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the crust until evenly combined.  Spray tart pan with non-stick spray.  Press the dough evenly into the bottom and all the way up the sides of your tart pan (Whatever size you choose).  The crust should be 1/4″-1/2″ thick.  To make minis you can bake the tart in a larger rectangle or circle tart pan and then use a small circle cutter to cut the mini tarts once they have baked and cooled.

Filling:

2/3 cup sugar

2 large eggs

2 large egg yolks

1 t. grated lime peel

1 cup + 1/3 cup whipping cream

1 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)

6 T. fresh lime juice

Whisk first 4 ingredients in a large bowl for 1 minute.  Stir in whipping cream, cream of coconut, and lime juice.  Transfer to prepared crust.  Bake until set in the center (baking time depends on your size of tart shell…check mini’s after 5 minutes, individual size after 12 minutes, but could take up to 20 minutes).  I didn’t try to make the tart in a large 9″ size, but I think it would turn out just fine…the only thing that worried me was that the crust might be too cooked, so I just made individual sizes and cut mini’s out of them…let me know if anyone tries the larger size tart and how it turns out.  Just a note: the larger tart would need to cook for 30-40 minutes probably.  Let cool and refrigerate until needed.

Passion Fruit Cream:

1 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup sour cream

10 T. passion fruit pulp or puree

Whisk the cream, sugar, and sour cream until thickened.  Add passion fruit pulp or puree and whisk until peaks form.  Pipe or dollop on cream onto the top of the tarts.  Enjoy!

img_34481.jpg

img_34181.jpg

Tags: , , ,

33 Responses to “Coconut Macadamia Nut Tart with Passion Fruit Cream”

1. Emiline says:

Oh.
    I would like this.
    These look incredible! And the pictures are so pretty, too.

2. Lori says:

*drool* that cream on top of everything made my tongue fall out of my mouth.

3. Cyndi says:

Passion fruit AND coconut??? Those are my two most favorite flavors in the whole world! I think I’ve died and gone to heaven……. Will definitely be making this next week.

4. toontz says:

So ambitious, and I am drooling, too! The only dessert I managed today is brownies! lol

5. Samara says:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh gosh, I’m brazilian and i LOVE both flavors but unfortunatly I can’t find passion fruit here where I live :(
    I’m drooling over my keyboard though.

6. bunny says:

such beautiful pictures! it makes you just want to reach out and taste it!! thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment, it is greatly appreciated. your blog is sooooo inspiring!

7. cakebrain says:

I am so glad you left the dessicated coconut out because I love the flavour of coconut but hate the stringy texture! this dessert looks heavenly!

8. RecipeGirl says:

This is the prettiest dessert I’ve seen today! Nice job with photo styling for this one. I would have left the flaky coconut out too!

9. Wow this looks absolutely delightful! I love how billowy the cream looks.

10. i’ll take these in whatever size or shape you want to make them. i want to plunge my fingers right into that cream

11. Sarah C. says:

I have a question…whats with all the coconut recipes using sweetened cream of coconut? I recently made a coconut cake that called for sweetened cream of coconut but when I found the item in the store and read the ingredient list, there wasnt even any real coconut in the product. I ended up switching it out for coconut milk. Do you think coconut milk would work in this dessert? They do look wonderful!

12. noble pig says:

Oh how yummy these look. I love the varying sizes and I bet I could do the mini’s in my mini cheesecake pan! Beautiful presentation, you are a talented cook.

13. Wow, what a beautiful dessert. I agree with you about texture and a love of passion fruit, and your result is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your process!

14. robin says:

This looks wonderful! I like the changes you made the the recipe… I’m not a big shredded coconut-texture lover. Thanks for sharing.

15. admin says:

Thanks for the comments everyone…I love hearing the feedback! I’m also glad most of your liked my twist on the recipe!
    Sarah- I do agree that a lot of recipes call for sweetened cream of coconut…I have to admit that I didn’t know that it had no real coconut in it…crazy! I think coconut milk would work in this dessert if you sweetened it with powdered sugar or regular sugar. Let me know how it works out if you try it!

16. Sophie says:

Sometimes I run out of ideas on what yummy ingredients to mix together for my next sweet baked good. This sounds like a delicious combo, perfect dessert for a summer picnic :) .

17. Shari says:

Wow, all those flavors in one dessert sounds amazing! Love your photos!

18. Katie B. says:

I am drooling!! I have a ripped-out-of-a-magazine pile too – but I’m not sure any of them look as delicious as yours!!

19. Mandy says:

this looks so good! I need to try the macadamia crust one day.

20. Wheeler's says:

Wow! That looks amazing … you’re very talented!

21. Stacy says:

Your pictures are adorable! When I see things like this it always makes me wish I could bake.

22. Gigi says:

Lovely tarts! Tarts seem to be all the rage right now. I must make one of my own very soon! :)

23. nina says:

How beautiful is this….. I love the idea of the Macadamia nuts and then the passion fruit…mmmmm

24. That looks so beautiful, lovely photos!

25. Stephanie says:

Beautiful is all I can say!!!!

26. Deborah says:

This seriously has my mouth watering!!

27. Holly says:

My first thought (as my mouth started watering too) was, “oohhh pretty!” Shortly after was my next thought, or inclination actually, of, well, seeing exactly how much of that little beauty would fit stuffed in my face at once. Yum!!

28. Stef says:

I saw your photo on tastespotting and meant to stop by and comment, but I was a comment slacker. Then you commented on my post and I felt like more of a slacker so here I am to tell you just how drool worthy your tart looks. It looks like one of those desserts where you can pick out individuals flavors with tiny bites on your spoon or have one bite that blends them all perfectly.

29. Beautiful! I’d love to dig into that!

30. L*Joy says:

passion fruit cream… this stopped me in my reading tracks!

31. I have so been wanting to play with passionfruit for desserts. Yum!

32. Sunny says:

I am wondering where I might find the passion fruit puree.
    Thanks. Would like to try this.
    Sunny

33. KCK says:

Ok, did any of you actually MAKE the recipe? I did and it turned out to be one of the best I have ever made. HOWEVER, there were some steps left out and the directions were not entirely clear. Beware and read thoroughly before you proceed. The results were divine.