Fun Times with Friends

This past weekend I had the chance to hang out with some good friends of mine and celebrate my dear friend Kate’s birthday!  We thought it would be fun to try out a couple new drinks and have some appetizers, so my friend Matt was in charge of two drinks and I was in charge of one drink and the dessert.  It was my first time trying out drink recipes and I had a lot of fun!  I decided to try a recipe from Elizabeth Falkner’s book Demolition Desserts.  Once I read that this drink had passion fruit juice in it I knew I had to try it…and to make matters even more interesting the title of the drink was “Shagadelic”!  Elizabeth says that this recipe was made to match her “Shag cake” that was quite popular with her customers at Citizen Cake.

img_25202.jpg

As you can see from these photos this is definitely not my typical food photo shoot, but I still wanted to share these pictures and recipe with you…hope you enjoy them!

Shagadelic

adapted from Demolition Desserts

serves two

(I changed some things in the recipe…like the sugar rim instead of a shredded coconut rim and a strawberry instead of a maraschino cherry)

1/2 c. bottled passion, such as Looza brand

1 T. Cointreau

1/4 c. white rum, such as 10 Cane brand

2 T. coconut rum, such as Malibu brand

Juice of 1/2 lime

Ice cubes

A couple strawberries

Sugar for the rim

Rub one of the cut limes around the edge of the glasses and then dip into sugar.

In a cocktail shaker, combine passion fruit juice, Cointreau, white and coconut rum, and lime juice.  Fill the shaker with ice, cover, and shake.

Strain into the sugar-rimmed glasses and add a sliced strawberry to the rim.

Like I said earlier, my friend Matt made two drinks for us too…both which were a lot of fun and delicious too!  The first drink he made was a Peach Bellini.  He said you just need a good sparkling wine and a scoop of peach sorbet and presto dingdough your done!

img_25242.jpg

The other drink he made took a little preparation beforehand, but was really yummy and looked beautiful too!  He infused vodka with strawberries for 2 days or so and then drained the vodka from the jar.  (The strawberries definitely lose their beauty in the infusing process and end up looking more like little tongues, but the end result is worth it!)

img_25101.jpg

Matt added simple syrup (equal parts of sugar and water heated until dissolved), mint, and ice to the strawberry vodka and muddled it around.  Overall, a really great drink!

img_25251.jpg

Sadly I don’t have a great picture of the end result, but take my word for it…it’s a winner!  Thanks Matt!

To end the night off right I thought that I should try out a gift that my husband’s aunt had gotten me…a Skookie Cast Iron Skillet!!!  I had some leftover Peanut Butter M&M Monster cookie dough, so I thought it would make the perfect birthday dessert…and it did!  Here is the birthday girl with her own Skookie aka pizza cookie.

img_25611.jpg

img_25621.jpg

Hope you had a great birthday Kate!  Thanks for being such a great friend!

img_35411.jpg

Tags: , , , ,

22 Responses to “Fun Times with Friends”

1. Mmmm those drinks look delicious! I HAD to leave you a comment to tell you that I made the Vanilla Buttercream Recipe posted on your blog for some yummy cupcakes for a baby shower I did this weekend. And OH MY GOSH!!! I WILL NEVER TRY ANOTHER BUTTERCREAM AGAIN. I am SO excited!!! Not only was it easy to make, it was DELICIOUS!! The guests ranted and raved about it. I even had enough cupcakes left over for Mother’s Day and the buttercream was STILL delicious. Thank you for giving such a clear step-by-step process of how to make it. YOU ROCK!!!

2. Emiline says:

This is my kind of drink! Seriously.

I want this book. Maybe someday I’ll buy it…

3. admin says:

I am so excited that you liked the buttercream recipe Rachel! I do have to say that once I found that recipe I searched no longer too…it is simply divine!
    Emiline- you definitely NEED this book…you would love it!

4. dhanggit says:

oh you are a heaven sent!! im actually looking for recipes i could use for a small apperitif party i’m organizing this weekend..im sure i will impress my guests with this one!! i love the use of strawberries in it!! fresher and sweeter!!

5. Little tongues? That was funny! Mmmm…that skookie looks delicious!

6. OK, time to party with me! You will be responsible for the drinks and we can share dessert responsibility :)

Carrie

7. noble pig says:

Looks like a great party! Those drinks…yummy!

8. Aran says:

Power bomb right there!

9. Larissa says:

I am a sucker for ANYTHING with coconut rum…so this drink is certainly my sort of thing.

10. Sophie says:

I love it when I can use leftovers to make a tasty treat…this is a great idea. I’ve yet to make a cookie this huge :D .

11. RecipeGirl says:

I love that big pizza cookie!! How fun :)

12. grace says:

i can’t help it. the word “shagadelic” make me think of austin powers, which makes me think of his beastly chest hair, which kills my appetite. but only for a second. :)

13. Holly says:

I am pretty sure that I would be a much happier person if someone fed me one of these every morning for the rest of my life. I seriously cannot wait to try this recipe!! Thanks for sharing!

14. Holly says:

LOL – I just realized I posted this on the recipe for the drink!! I don’t even drink, but now I definately sound like a lush! I was trying to comment on the salted caramel chocolate cupcakes (yeah, sure I was)! Really, truly I was!!

15. Medena says:

Where was I when these drinks were served?! Fabulous! :)

16. mattyc says:

awesome! so glad i made it on this wonderful blog! i have more pictures up on flickr including tim singing american idol on wii!!!! nice work mel. more cocktail nights to come!

17. that strawberry vodka with mint? it is the shit. if i have my druthers, it will make an appearance at my memorial day BBQ.

heh, i said “druthers.”

18. Mansi says:

wow, those are seriously good ideas! thanks for sharing!

19. BK says:

That’s a feel good night. I like to add nutella covered strawberries to that menu.

20. Jenny says:

Oh my, that cookie!! Love all of your pictures!
    Picky Palate

21. Awesome ideas! — Cute pictures :)

22. Mike says:

Those drinks look delicious and I bet that strawberry infused vodka was great, but lol, “tongues” definitely captures the appearance.