Ice Cream Addiction

So my ice cream addiction continues and my love affair with David Lebovitz’s book, “The Perfect Scoop“, keeps getting stronger and stronger.  I tried out these two new recipes for a cooking class that I taught yesterday…more photos and recipes will come later with that posting, but for now I thought I’d wet your appetite by posting these two delicious recipes.  I wanted to try one recipe that was rich and sinful and another recipe that was fruity and lighter, so my choices were “Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream” and “Apricot-Pistachio Ice Cream”.  Both of these in my opinion were winners. Hands down everyone was more obsessed with trying to get a taste of the Chocolate-Peanut Butter one, but can you blame them…just hearing the title makes me want to make another pint. However to be fair, I thought that the Apricot-Pistachio one was quite yummy too.  If you are an apricot lover then this one would be a huge winner for you!  So enough chattering…here are the recipes!

img_41972.jpg

Apricot-Pistachio Ice Cream

5 ounces dried California apricots, quartered

¾ cup white wine, sweet

½ cup shelled unsalted pistachio nuts

2/3 cup sugar

2 cups half-and-half

A few drops of lemon juice

In a small saucepan, warm the apricot pieces in the wine.  Simmer for 5 minutes, cover, remove from the heat, and let stand for 1 hour.  Coarsely chop the pistachio nuts.

Puree the apricots in a blender with the sugar, half-and-half, and lemon juice until smooth.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream makers according to the manufacturer’s directions.  During the last few minutes of churning, add the chopped pistachio nuts.

img_42132.jpg

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream

2 cups half-and-half

¼ cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder

½ cup sugar

Pinch of salt

½ cup smooth peanut butter

Whisk together the first four ingredients in a large saucepan.  Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil.  Remove from the heat and whisk the peanut butter in until thoroughly combined.

I would love to hear which one you would choose!

Tags: , , , ,

23 Responses to “Ice Cream Addiction”

1. kellypea says:

Apricot Pistachio. No question. I just happen to have some dried apricots! ;0

2. Leslie says:

I would choose the Chocolate-Peanut Butter. My husband loves peanut butter and I love chocolate, so it’s perfect. I think I will make it for him tomorrow!

3. Vera says:

Thanks for sharing the recipes! And just in time, it’s getting hot outside. They both look great, I’m sure they taste wonderful too. Lebovitz’s recipes always work!

4. Pam says:

I have an ice cream addiction too and that looks like heaven.

5. Oh, my! Do I have to choose? If pressed, I’d pick the chocolate-peanut butter, but the apricot sounds (and looks) lovely too.

6. Prudence says:

Hey Gilrie-

Wow! They both look so yummy!! I would have to choose the chocolate and peanut butter! I am a sucker for a Resse’s Peanut Butter Cup!! You are imspiring me to bust out my ice cream maker!!

7. noble pig says:

These look and sound even better….choco-pb..yummy.

8. Graeme says:

They both look fantastic, but I can’t think of a better combination than Apricot and Pistachio.
    Perfect!

9. Ashelina says:

Oh, I am totally making that chocolate peanut butter ice cream, that looks decadent!!

10. linda says:

I’d definitely go for the apricot pistachio ice cream. Somehow I’ve never really liked chocolate ice cream. But maybe that’s because I never had really good one ;)

11. cakebrain says:

Zowie,
    It’s ice-cream seaon again! I love how that pistachio apricot combination looks! It’s gorgeous! I’m going to have to haul out the ice cream maker soon too!

12. Aran says:

I am an ice cream addict as well and chocolate peanut butter sounds so decadent, rich, creamy… yummy!

13. DLB says:

that’s easy! pb & chocolate…………..MMMM!

14. kj says:

chocolate peanut in a heartbeat. i love, love, love The Perfect Scoop. Every recipe I have tried so far has been excellent!!!

15. tsp says:

Chocolate peanut butter is brilliant. I have never understood why I can’t go to the supermarket and get this flavor!

16. farida says:

Summer is here and with it my appetite for ice cream is coming too:) I love the combination or apricots and pistachios. Sounds delicious! I yet have to buy myself an ice cream maker:(

17. Kevin says:

Both of these ice creams look really good!

18. kristina says:

I just keep chocolate peanut butter ice cream in my freezer the whole summer and sneak in for spoonfuls constantly. It’s probably not such a great habit for bathing suit season, but I can’t help it. :P

19. Eviedee says:

I adore David Lebovitz! The Perfect Scoop is one of my current top 10 reasons to love summer. Both of ice creams look fantastic, but I would definitely have to try the apricot-pistachio. I am a total sucker for new flavors. I live in Long Beach too, where do you give classes?

20. Tipperella says:

Thanks for posting this. It looked so yummy I went ahead and tried out the chocolate peanut butter. YUM! We also sprinkled some Reese’s PB cups chopped up on top. I can’t wait to eat some more. :-)

21. Sarah says:

Thank you so much! Peanut Butter and Chocolate ice cream is my favorite, so I made that, and loved it.

It’s really peanut buttery, and it was kind of wierd eating something that looked like chocolate ice cream, and tasting peanut butter, but it was still delicious!

22. Malia says:

Thank-you for posting this recipe, I am going to try the chocolate/peanut butter one tomorrow afternoon <3

23. Mimi says:

Chocolate peanut-butter ice cream looks sooooo tasty! i am going to try making it, thanks for the recipe!