Spoonfuls of Heaven

Ever since I’ve started using my ice cream maker it seems as though I can’t stop!  What also doesn’t help is to have cookbooks from David Lebovitz and Emily Luchetti sitting around with millions of tasty recipes just calling out to you.  So instead of brushing aside this desire I decided to indulge and tried two recipes in one day.  I tried David Lebovitz’s Lemon-Buttermilk Sherbet and Emily Luttetti’s Rhubarb Ice Cream with Strawberry Compote.  Both were extremely delicious and I would highly recommend trying them out.

img_40811.jpg

I had just gone to the farmer’s market the day before and had some delicious strawberries that were perfect with this dessert. This compote is served warm over the ice cream and makes for a yummy accompaniment.  Since I didn’t have some of the ingredients on hand (I ran out of sugar!) I swapped some out.  I used sage honey that I had picked up from the farmer’s market in exchange for the sugar and used Cointreau instead of Grand Marnier.

img_40911.jpg

Here are a couple more photos of the process…

img_40341.jpg

img_40371.jpg

img_40611.jpg

img_40761.jpg

And this is how my bowl looked about two minutes after tasting it…

img_40871.jpg

Rhubarb Ice Cream

adapted from Classic Star Desserts

4 cups cut-up rhubarb (1 1/2″ pieces, from about 1 pound)

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

large pinch of kosher salt

4 large egg yolks

1 cup whole milk

1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream

In a nonreactive saucepan, combine the first four ingredients and place over medium heat.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is soft…about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool slightly.  Then place it in a food processor and puree until smooth.  Strain through a medium-mesh sieve.  Let cool to room temperature.

Prepare an ice bath.  In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar.  In a saucepan heat the milk and cream until small bubbles appear.  While whisking constantly, pour the cream mixture into the yolk mixture.  Pour the mixture back into the pan and place over medium-low heat.  Cook, stirring constantly, until it coats your spoon or reaches 175 degrees (about 3-5 minutes).

Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve and back into the bowl and place it over the ice bath.  Let cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally.  Whisk in the rhubarb puree.  Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours.

Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker according to its directions.  Place in the freezer to harder a little more, about 2 hours.

Strawberry Compote

1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/4 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)

2 pints strawberries, hulled and quartered length-wise

1 ounce (2 Tablespoons) unsalted butter

In a large saute pan, combine the lemon juice, sugar and Grand Marnier and cook over medium-high heat.  Stir occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.  Add the strawberries and butter and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute or until the strawberries are warmed through.  Place over ice cream and enjoy!

Well, here are the photos of David Lebovitz’s Lemon-Buttermilk Sherbet from his book, The Perfect Scoop.  You can see the recipe and get inspiration for other ways to play with this dessert if you stop by Cannelle et Vanille.  This is definitely one of my favorite blogs out there!  Another blogger that recently tried this recipe to rave reviews was A Yankee in a Southern Kitchen. She also tried David’s recommendation of adding his decadent caramel sauce on top.  Check out the photos…they are fabulous!  Well, when I was trying to think of what I wanted to pair with this sherbet I kept eye-balling the box of ginger snap cookies I had just bought from Trader Joe’s and thought “What the heck…I’ll give it a try!”   The flavor combo definitely has a kick to it, but I think I liked it.  I tried to get another opinion, but my husband is bias since he doesn’t really love the taste of ginger snaps.  So my taste buds liked it, but I don’t know if I would say that it is the ultimate pairing…basically it’s yummy and the mini ice cream sandwiches looked really cute!

img_40971.jpg

img_41081.jpg

img_41041.jpg

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Spoonfuls of Heaven”

1. Aran says:

oh yum!!! double yum!!! you know what? i have that same bowl from Anthropologie… too cute!

2. toontz says:

Oh. My. Oh my, my, my! I am bookmarking this recipe (for when I get a decent ice-cream maker). That looks sooooo good.

3. And why on earth should you stop using it?? ;)
    Let me know if there’s any left overs, Melody! :)

4. justJENN says:

Same for me – I can’t stop either, it’s ice cream season!!

5. RecipeGirl says:

It’s definitely time to get the ice cream maker out! Rhubarb ice cream is a genius idea!

6. Aimee says:

Nice original way to use rhubarb, Melody. Wish it were warm enough here to make ice cream…

7. congrats on taking awesome ice cream photos ~ oh the timing of it all!

Ice cream looks incredible and the esp rhuybarb!

thanks for stopping by my blog – look forward to seeing more of your fun/delcious posts….

8. JacqueOH says:

Oh my goodness! Those both look FAN-tastic! Rhubarb is one of my all-time favorites. I had no idea you could make it into ice cream (swoon). Great job :)

9. Nicisme says:

These ice creams are my idea of heaven too, very nice!

10. Rosie says:

Oh this sure does look like heaven to me I just adore your flavours of ice cream – slurp

Rosie x

11. Medena says:

That’s it!!! I have been looking at ice-cream makers everywhere I go, wondering if I would really use it that much… Now I know I will! I have to try some of your flavors!
    Any ice-cream maker in particular I should look for? What should I look for in an ice cream maker? Thanks!

12. admin says:

Thanks everyone for your comments! Glad you all like Rhubarb too!
    Medena – I have the ice cream bowl attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer and it seems to work pretty well. I am not an expert on ice cream makers, but I have heard that Cuisinart also has a good ice cream maker. Good luck with all of your ice cream adventures!

13. Mike says:

These both look delicious! I have trouble with David’s book, too–if I had the time and space in my freezer, I could just pump out ice cream all day long. I think the rhubarb one is my favorite–I need to try that one out!

14. Holy Moly! I’m drooling over these! Fabulous!

15. Emiline says:

Both ice creams sounds amazing! Perfect for the season. I’m VERY interested in the rhubarb one. ;)
    It’s officially ice cream season! Yay! I’m excited. I’m thinkin’ blueberry…

16. I love you take on strawberry and rhubarb! And warm compote!? Get out of town… that sounds so so good!

17. Vitor Hugo says:

Ice Cream! Oh boy! Where I live is almost winter, a little “cold” for a ice cream, but if I could I eat anyway (I’m kinda sick now), heheheh

It remember me that I have to buy an ice cream maker. :)

Vitor Hugo
    http://english.pratofundo.com/ (English)
    http://pratofundo.com/ (Portuguese)

18. Oh I’m sooooo drooling over here. That shot of the bowl with the eaten ice-cream and that cute round spoon is just to much! I love the baby ice-cream sandwich as well, I wonder how many could I eat of those…

19. Antonia says:

So pleased you stopped by my blog so that I could discover yours. I am similarly loving my new ice cream maker and must order that David Lebovitz book! I made rhubarb ice cream this weekend too – yours looks so good with that gorgeous strawberry compote. Yum!

20. Stacy says:

OK, first of all, your photos are amazing. Second, I love that spoon! Is it antique?

21. admin says:

Stacy- Yes, I actually got that spoon as part of one of my wedding gifts from a close friend. She collected lots of antique spoons and she knew I loved them too!

22. anne says:

question: the rhubarb ice cream has only heavy cream in the ingredients listing, but then in the instructions comes the statement “heat the milk and cream…” how much milk?

thanks for the recipe–very inspiring.

23. admin says:

Anne – So sorry about the mistake on the recipe! There is 1 cup of whole milk in the recipe. Hope you try it out and love it!

24. anne says:

the mixture is made and is cooling, to be frozen tonight. am most excited. one other confusion that I had was with the sugar: “mix the first four ingredients” followed by “the remaining 1/2 cup sugar” to be blended with the eggs. so I assume that the rhubarb gets cooked with 1/4 cup but my puree got the full sugar so I just added an extra T of sugar to boost those yolks when the hot cream came through.

used brown sugar, which I hope won’t distract too much from rhubarb’s gentle tang. will let you know how it comes out! thanks again for inspiring me to spend time with my favorite pink stalks.

25. Rhiannon says:

I really want to try and make some icecream! I love the idea of “real” ingredients mashed in a way as to make them taste different to how they would in any other way (rhubarb for instance – that just looks so amazingly good!)

26. Both those ice creams look utterly fabulous :) I love the idea of using buttermilk in an ice cream.