Big Cake, Small Cake

I thought I’d share some photos with you from two orders I had last week.  One order was for a topsy-turvy wedding cake.  The bride was having a very fun and colorful wedding and wanted a cake that expressed the same thing.  One thing that was especially fun about this cake was the flavor choice.  The bride and groom said they loved tiramisu, so I combined a couple different recipes together and came up with a great flavored tiramisu cake.  The cake layers were buttermilk cake that were soaked with a coffee-Kahlua syrup.  The fillings were a marsala wine cream cheese frosting and a mascarpone chocolate ganache…can you say decadent!  This was my first real attempt at a topsy-turvy cake and overall I was pretty happy with it.  There is a great tutorial on how to do these types of cakes at this link.  The colors for this cake matched the bridesmaid’s dresses exactly, which were from J. Crew.  The bride wanted a simple monogram with their last initial and for a personal touch she had me pipe on some of their favorite song lyrics, which was a surprise for her husband.

img_43601.jpg

img_43551.jpg

img_43531.jpg

Another order I did last week was for a small office party.  The client wanted to give one of her co-workers that was leaving some yummy and so she ordered a small 6″ cake and 4 sugar cookies. She said her co-worker loved Hawaii, so we went with a Hawaiian theme.  The cake was a buttermilk cake that was filled with pastry cream and fresh strawberries.  I used brown sugar to create edible sand and then added some Hawaiian theme fondant accents.

img_43211.jpg

img_43191.jpg

img_43281.jpg

Here is a shot of the pastry cream…just to make your taste buds salivate.  Look at those vanilla beans!

img_43121.jpg

And here are the cookies!

img_43151.jpg

img_43161.jpg

I also wanted to say a couple thank you’s to some people…first I would like to thank Stephane at Chefs Gone Wild for the amazing food prize I won off of his blog.  I just received it in the mail and can’t wait to start munching on all of the goodies from around the world!  I would also like to thank Mindy at The Mommy Blog for choosing my blog as her “Site of the day”.

Tags: , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Big Cake, Small Cake”

1. noble pig says:

I don’t even know what to say, both are breathtaking pieces of art!

2. Erin says:

I love the wedding cake! It’s so nice to see people actually having some non-traditional wedding designs. I seriously hate those big stark white cakes with flours and other ugly regalia. Lovely work!

3. Eileen says:

That’s no fair showing the pastry cream with the delicious vanilla bean if I can’t have any! I just want to swipe my finger across it!

4. Kevin says:

That topsy-turvy cake looks amazing! What a fun cake!

5. Prudence says:

Great cake, girl!! I am lovin’ the vanilla beans!! Looks SO yummy…

6. farida says:

These look GORGEOUS!!!! You are amazingly talented! I think Long Beach foodies rock:))

7. I am loving both of those cakes! I hope one day I get to taste your mouth-watering work!

8. Mindy says:

You are a goddess. I love the cakes, especially the wedding cake! No one usually gets it when you say you want whimsy – but you nailed it. That’s the sort of cake I want if anyone is ever crazy enough to ask me to get married again. : )

9. Lore says:

The cakes look great. I’ve always wondered how the topsy-turvy cakes “keep it together” and now I know :) Btw, love the slippers too :D

10. Jana says:

Melody, one more time — beautifull! I love the colors, I love the design – it looks just perfect for summer and makes me feel joy!

11. Nicisme says:

Very beautiful indeed! I love the colours.

12. Michele says:

Awesome topsy-turvy cake! And your cookies look amazing as always! And yes, I want some of that pastry cream!!

13. celine says:

that pastry cream looks like a dream come true! all your decorations are real works of art. kudos!

14. linda says:

The wedding cake is very pretty, I especially love the piped lyrics, makes it look even prettier.
    Love the flip-flop cookies too :)

15. grace says:

how fun! i, for one, get sick of seeing the same white, flowery, perfectly tiered cake at wedding after wedding. plus, they’re never tasty. that cake is awesome, and sounds delicious–soaked with coffee-Kahlua syrup and filled with marsala wine cream cheese frosting and a mascarpone chocolate ganache? AMAZING.

16. Emily says:

Oh my goodness… I was already impressed with the topsy turvy cake, and THEN I read that it was a tiramisu cake underneath. I’m pretty jealous of the couple right now!! Way to go :)

17. The first cake is just great, you did so good to be your first tilted one. I have yet to try that… Thanks for the link, I will check it. The other one is very cool too but what I really loved werw the little flip-flop sugar cookies. So cute!

18. Melody, you cannot see me, but I am taking a bow now. You are gifted!

19. Jenny says:

You are so talented! What beautiful cake designs you have created. All of your creations are truly adorable. I’m sure both customers were completely thrilled. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

20. Kristen says:

Seriously – you have such great talent. I am ever amazed!

21. Aimee says:

You’re so creative! Love both cakes and thought the ‘sand’ was truly memorable.

22. That pastry cream is OUT OF THIS WORLD! Really really amazing. Just out of control. Your topsy turvy cake looks lovely! I love when people have low key fun weddings. The cake is still stressful to make, but I have a little relief knowing that the event is fun and relaxed. Lovely job!

23. This is my first time to your blog, what a talent you have!

24. Gigi says:

I loved both the cakes! Especially the color scheme. Very fun and tropical.

25. Emiline says:

You’re amazing! Both cakes are beautiful! I really love the topsy-turvey cake. Maybe you could go on Food Network for a cake challenge. I love the vanilla bean….that’s crazy good looking.

26. Aran says:

all look lovely! and that filling… yum!

27. Susan says:

That topsy-turvey cake is so fanciful, so Mad Hatter, that I cannot but help breaking out in a big Cheshire Cat grin! Adore the diamond pattern. Must be terribly difficult to disassemble for cutting, and a shame, too.

28. LyB says:

Those are such fun cakes! And the cookies are too cute!

29. Jeena says:

What fabulous cakes! You really do have a talent for this they look beautiful.

30. katy says:

how gorgeous!!! they are just too cool.

31. Mike says:

Very nice work with that cake–its really an impressive sight! It sounds like some fantastic filling too–I’m sure the bride and groom were delighted with it.

32. Katie says:

These look amazing.

33. cakebrain says:

Beautiful decorative techniques! I just love the look of real vanilla beans in my baking, don’t you?

34. nina says:

I am totally gob-smacked, stunned, speechless….. I have never seen anything so beautiful IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!! Can you hear me, I am screaming!!!

35. *gasp* those cakes! what lucky people. That wedding cake is just stunning (and sounds delish) and I love how you used brown sugar to make sand, what a cool idea. The pastry cream looks lush!

36. abby says:

beautiful topsy turvy cake! the ribbon and the monogram are perfect touches. and now i will need the recipe for the vanilla bean filling :)

37. LOVE LOVE LOVE that cake! I feel like Alice in Wonderland when I look at it. Wonderful job. You really are skilled and creative. Amazing!

38. Smosh says:

you are the best sis ever. how do you make those cakes and cupcakes! Love, Smosh

39. LindaF says:

Lovely cakes and cookies! The topsy turvy one is gorgeous, reminds me of something out of Dr Suess!:)

40. Gahh….your writing on cakes is AMAZING! I’m so bad at that!

41. Amber says:

How do you get the cake to not slide off the layers?? That cake is amazing!! I’m trying to teach myself how to make stuff like that because my friends keep bugging me to do stuff for them. :) I love your style. Sooo awesome.

42. Jazmin_Rod says:

I love your topsy turvy wedding cake idea. I am having a sweet 16 party next year and i love the design, but with my colors of course. Hmmmm..I just might ask you to make mine. love.