Cupcake Class & One of Sweet Melissa’s Recipes

Today was a lot of fun as it was the day of my cupcake class at Prep Kitchen Essentials. We had 13 ladies ready to bake, decorate, and eat their way through tons of yummy cupcakes. It was a tight schedule with lots of things to bake, many cupcakes to frost, and lots of decorations to make. I taught them how to make Vanilla, Chocolate, and Carrot Cake Cupcakes. They also learned how to make Vanilla Buttercream, Swiss Meringue Buttercream, Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting, Chocolate Ganache Filling, and Peanut Butter Filling….like I said, it was busy. In addition to cupcakes and frostings, I showed them how to make modeling chocolate roses, use chocolate transfer sheets, texture fondant accents, and pipe flowers. Here are some photos from the fun day!

One of the recipes that we made today was from Sweet Melissa’s Baking Book…it was the delicious carrot cake! I had made this recipe before and loved it and thought I’d share my new found joy with my others. Instead of using the cream cheese frosting that it calls for I opted to use one of Chockylit’s recipes for her Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting since I thought it would pipe better. It was a fantastic recipe and I highly recommend it!

Carrot Cake Cupcakes

adapted from Sweet Melissa’s Baking Book

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound carrots, grated medium fine
3/4 cup walnut pieces, coarsely choppe

Before you start

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two cupcake pans with cupcake liners.

To make the cake

1. in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the eggs at high speed until light and frothy, about 1 minute. Decrease the speed to medium and add the oil, sugar, and salt, and mix until just combined. Decrease the speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.

3. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the carrots and walnuts.

4. Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners.

5. Bake 20-24 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Cupcake Class & One of Sweet Melissa’s Recipes”

1. cakebrain says:

Oh what fun! I wish I could have been there to make all those cupcakes!

2. dita says:

looks so fun :) . I never had a cooking class before.

3. You must be a wonderful teacher because all your student’s cupcakes turned out really good looking!

4. nina says:

Oh, how I would love to attend one of these classes. I tried buttercream once and it flopped horribly. The cupcakes look so delicious!

5. WOW what gorgeous cupcakes. They look like the $6.50 ones from this shop in town…that class sounds so fun!

6. Aimee says:

Can you do an online tutorial? :) They look great and carrot cupcakes sound perfect!

7. RecipeGirl says:

What a fun class! I’d love to attend such a class with a few girlfriends :)

8. noble pig says:

I wish I could take these classes!

9. Amy says:

I Love your website/blog. Can’t wait to look at all of your links. I appreciate the inspiration. Thanks for sharing your talents!

10. emily says:

so cute! The piped flowers are very sweet—I can’t totally tell from the pics, but are they not using tips???? Just a cut bag??? As always, thanks for the tips and the great blog!

11. bobby says:

All of those cupcakes looks great! The first one is amazing.

12. wow cool. i wanna go for one of these classes too. beautiful cupcakes!

13. Chelle says:

What a great class! And perfect timing for the link to a vanilla cream cheese buttercream, as I am making the cake for a friend’s bridal shower next weekend and she wanted cream cheese frosting!

14. Jeena says:

Fabulous!!!

15. Kevin says:

Nice cupcakes! I like teh huge flowers.

16. mareza says:

where did you say is this class located?
    i’ll take a vacation and maybe i’m in a wrong job.
    this is fun….

17. admin says:

Thanks for all the comments everyone! So glad you liked the class photos!
    Emily- Yes, they are piping the flowers without a tip. Basically you cut the pastry bag about 1″ up straight across. Then you want to cut a triangle out of the bag, so the bag looks like a bird’s open beak. Then fill the bag and pipe with the bird’s mouth open to the cupcake. Those are the petals. As you can see this sounds quite weird in writing, but maybe I will try to do a posting on it soon if I get some time. Hope that helps a little!
    Mareza- The classes are located in Seal Beach, CA…tempting isn’t it!
    Aimee- My schedule is so crazy lately, but an online tutorial does sound like fun!

18. Tanya says:

How gorgeous! I love the idea of using transfer sheets on chocolate to make elegant garnishes. I just found a place online that sells these transfers sheets and I’m itching to buy some and try out some things. I also love those flowers. They look so beautiful, but they seem easy to make. Thank you for sharing!

19. You must have the patience of a saint to cover so many decorating mediums in one shot. Lovely results and many happy faces.

20. Jenny says:

Those cupcakes look awesome! I saw that picture on Food Gawker and thought it was so gorgeous! What a fun post, I love seeing all of your decorating classes in action! Have a great day!

21. vanessa says:

Those cupcakes are beautiful, what a fun class!

22. Mike says:

Those cupcakes are beautiful! I can only imagine how good they tasted. Great work!

23. GirlCanBake says:

What a great class! I love all the pictures! You made so many things. Sounds like one tight schedule!

24. Ann says:

Oh, HOW fun! I want to be there too! Those cupcakes are so charming. What a great class.

25. Gigi says:

Now this is my type of class! It looks like a lot fun and all the cupcakes look delicious!

26. Shari says:

Looks like a fun cooking class!
    Shari@Whisk: a food blog

27. I wish I didn’t live on the other side of the country or I’d be there in a heart beat and getting fat, no doubt.

28. Kim says:

This looks like fun and I imagine you are a great teacher. Nothing like a play day for a grown-up. Thanks for sharing.

29. ingegerd says:

Oh its look so fun!!!And all is so grate!!Thanks for sharing!And i like your blog!!

30. Lynn says:

ohh.. how I loved to attend your classes… I enjoy cooking and baking. Since I have alot of time in my hand now, I did alot of cooking and baking.. I love it.. Ive always wanted to be in dessert (food in general) industry coz not only I enjoy making ‘em, also I love to eat ‘em.. who doesnt?? Btw did I mentioned that I love reading your blogs.. Amazing. If I ever to be in Long Beach for holidays, sure to drop by to your shop. Best of luck and take care. :)

31. mimi says:

wow, that looks like such a fun class! wish you gave them here in new york so i could indulge in a day of cupcakes and frosting! and i passed along a lovely little “yummy blog award” to you :)

32. Lore says:

They did such a great job decorating the cupcakes!

33. Emiline says:

I need help with piping frosting. I can never make it look pretty.

34. Shaw Girl says:

Why oh why do I not live close enough to take your cupcake class? I so need help decorating cupcakes and it looks like a blast! If for some reason you ever take your classes on the road, let me know :)

35. elizabeth says:

This is cool.

36. michelle says:

thank you for the sugar flower technique. the book sounds very interesting. btw, got the martha stewart wedding book. very good book.