Two More Cooking Class…Plus a Fantastic Recipe

I have been having so much fun teaching classes at Prep Kitchen Essentials!  They have a wonderful store, staff, and kitchen…plus they do all the dishes for me!  What more could a girl ask for!  These past two weeks I have taught two classes there. The first class was “Elegant Italian Entrees”.  Yes, although I am a pastry chef I do really enjoy cooking food too and love sharing my passion for it with others.  This was a great class with a lot of fabulous food.  The menu for the night was Italian Herb & Cheese Pork Rolls, Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Homemade Pesto, Parmesan Chicken Over Angel Hair Pasta with Pine Nuts, Feta Cheese, and Tomatoes, and Grilled Cilantro Lime Shrimp with Saffron Orzo.

My favorite of the night was definitely the Italian Herb & Cheese Pork Rolls, so I thought I’d share the recipe with you!

Italian Herb & Cheese Rolls

adapted from Fiamma

Makes 4 servings

One 1 1/2 pound boneless pork tenderloin, cut on the extreme diagonal into 12 slices

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese

1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage

1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio

Lightly pound the pork slices until they are 1/4″ thick.  Season with salt and pepper.  Mix the Pecorino, sage, rosemary, and garlic together in a box and then sprinkle 1 teaspoon of herb mix on each pork slice.  Then roll each slice into a cylinder and secure with a toothpick.  Season the rolls with salt and pepper.

Place the flour in a flat bowl and then lightly coat the pork rolls with flour, patting to remove the excess.

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot.  Add the rolls and cook until browned all over, about 3-5 minutes.  Pour in the wine, cover, and simmer until the rolls are cooked through, 3-5 minutes more.  Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with aluminum foil.

Boil the cooking liquid until it reduces to a thick sauce, about 5 minutes.  Return the rolls to the skillet and shake the pan to coat them with sauce.  Serve with any remaining sauce spooned over them.

The second class I taught was a “Basic Cake Decorating Class”.  I taught how to split, fill, and frost a layer cake.  I also went over a variety of frostings and their uses and we played around with fondant too.  As you can see from the photos we weren’t trying to turn out the perfectly decorated cake, but rather practice techniques.  Everyone seemed to have a great time and hopefully they learned a lot too!  This weekend I have my cupcake class…should be a lot of fun!

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Two More Cooking Class…Plus a Fantastic Recipe”

1. noble pig says:

Yum-o! This sounds amazing!

2. Jenny says:

I love reading all of your posts, these recipes sound terrific!

3. LyB says:

That herb and cheese roll sounds fantastic! And those pics are making me hungry! :)

4. ali says:

That looks like a fun class!

5. Prudence says:

OK, those rolls are making me hungry- and I just ate! Love seeing all of your students! Looking forward to the pics from your cupcake class!

6. going for cooking lessons sounds like so much fun! beautiful pictures and that cake looks awesome.

p/s. think the pork rolls look like my fav too :)

7. Nicisme says:

I’d love to come to your class, they all look super happy and the cakes are fantastic!
    I like the look of the Italian rolls too.

8. All food looks great! I love that boy taking the class, very cute!

9. Chuck says:

I have to make this cheese pork roll. I want to taste that dish so badly. Very Nice!

10. Tartelette says:

Great menu! The class sounds like a lot of fun!

11. van says:

Hello pastry chef & teacher! I am very glad to know your place. It is so creative and delicious. Thanks for visiting my blog.

These are awesome. I want to try Italian herb and cheese roll soon.

12. Lore says:

You have some happy students there :) . The Prosciutto wrapped chicken looks so mouthwatering!

13. Susan says:

What fun! From my own experience with cake decorating, there are a multitude of “sins” that can be covered for a professional look nonetheless. Bravo for your students! Well done, they.

14. Aimee says:

The classes look like fun! Nice to see a savory something on your blog. I knew you couldn’t eat sugar ALL the time! :)

15. Kevin says:

The Italian rolls sound tasty! Look at all of the cakes.

16. such a cool cake – big smiley!

17. the little boy with the cake is adorable.

the pork recipe has been tagged because it looks freaking awesome.

18. Hélène says:

I would have love to go to that cooking classes. Great pictures.

19. dhanggit says:

we just had our dinner but i wouldnt mind giving more room on my stomach to accomodate all these goodies..im droooooooooooooooling in front of my computer..yummmy

20. Kristen says:

All of these recipes, but especially the first one, sounds fantastic!

21. Emiline says:

Is there anything you don’t do? Geeze. You amaze me with your talent. That’s great that you can cook savory and sweet things. I’m kind of struggling with that myself. I’m not sure what direction to go, since I love both.
    The shop looks really nice! Love the pictures.

22. Your students are making beautiful cakes! I’m in awe. My cakes (and I hardly ever bake) always come out looking like a two-year-old decorated them!

23. Jenn says:

First time here, just wanted to say I don’t think I have ever been on a site where every single thing looks so good! Most times some things look ok and others really good and some like nothing you ever want to try. All of the little baby shower things and the beach ones are so cute and I think I might actually race someone to get the last one of those cupcakes up in the top corner, everytime I see the picture I just think omg…I want that ….NOW !

24. Zenchef says:

Looks like you’re a fantastic chef! wow.. i’m drooling here!! :-)

25. Azura says:

awww look at that young man decorating the cake ..hey food looks great too.

26. Michele says:

Your homemade pesto on that prosciutto-wrapped chicken looks phenomenal.

By the way, I had a look at your business webpage and I am in love with the bride & groom silhouette cookies. The sugar pearl/ribbon decorations are so creative.