Prickly Pear Margaritas

Well, as promised I am sharing this delicious, refreshing, addicting drink!  So get ready to get some chips and guacamole, a margarita glass, and some salt because here it comes!!!

I combined a couple different recipes that I found and came up with this one…it’s a keeper! Just for those of you who are still wondering what prickly pears are they are actually the fruit that grow on top of the flat cactus pad.  Some say that they taste like a cross between a melon and a fig…I say they taste AMAZING!

Prickly Pear Margaritas

serves 6

3 1/2 cups crushed ice

3 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice

3 oz. frozen limeade

6 Tequila

4 1/2 oz. Cointreau

3 oz. prickly pear cactus juice

3 T. sugar

Lime wedges and kosher salt for garnish

In a blender, add all of the ingredients (minus the garnish) and pulse it until the ice is completely blended. Taste and add more sugar if necessary.

Rub some of the lime around the rim of the glasses and then dip the glasses into the salt.  Pour in the drink and garnish with a lime.  Enjoy!

Here are a couple links to where you can buy prickly pear juice.  Dessert USA or Perfect Puree of Napa Valley

Tags: ,

35 Responses to “Prickly Pear Margaritas”

1. grace says:

frozen margaritas are my absolute favorite, especially when they’re pink. i just think they’re better that way. :)

2. Erin says:

That drink is an especially delicious shade of pink! I love it!

3. DLB says:

these look awesome! i love the idea of a mexican fiesta day, and it looks like it was very successful!

4. Tiffany says:

These drinks will come in handy for the next girls night in! Thanks for the links on where to buy the prickly pear juice.

5. Jenn says:

The color is amazing in them !

6. noble pig says:

The color on this is amazing and so girly. What a wonderful recipe!

7. van says:

The color is so beautiful! Let’s cheer!

8. I’m not sure but I think I know what fruit you’re talking about. I had no idea it would be that color! It looks so gorgeous! really, I think I can just get drunk by looking at it! Thanks for sharing!

9. Sophie says:

I don’t think I can stress enough how much I adore the color of this margarita :D!

10. These are so very lovely.
    And prickly pear cactus juice is SO worth seeking out.
    Cha-ching!

11. Leslie says:

These look sooo good. I have family in Arizona that have margarita night every Friday. I will be making these next time I go out there! I can still remember on my first trip out there, seeing Mexicans climb into the cactus to get the prickly pears.

12. Jenny says:

Look at the color!!! Wow it is beautiful. Yah, come on down to Arizona we’ve got cactus on every corner! Really beautiful!

13. doreen says:

I’ll take two please!

14. We usually don’t do frozen margarita’s….but these look REALLY good. I think I could convert for a night or two :)

15. Aran says:

hmmm… how fun is this!!!

16. Kevin says:

That looks nice and cool and refreshing. Nice photos!

17. cakebrain says:

I don’t love pink, but I will drink your margarita ’cause it looks delicious! I don’t even think I’ve had prickly pear before. It looks refreshing!

18. So pretty, and I’ll bet tasty, too. Where can I find prickly pear juice?

19. Kim says:

Melody- I do not drink, but if I did I would start with one of these. Sounds refreshing.

20. Emiline says:

Yum! If I can find prickly pear cactus juice, I’m SO making these! Thanks for the recipe! Love the pictures.

21. Manuela says:

Thanks for visiting my blog.
    I love margaritas!
    This one with prickly pear cactus is definately original.
    The pictures are great :)

22. cindy says:

so pretty! and i am sure it taste pretty amazing as well.

23. Cristy says:

looooove prickly pear – thanks for the recipe!

24. Jenna says:

This is my favorite cocktail.Try making this with Desert Rose Prickly Pear InfusedTequila made by Voodoo Tiki. It is unbelievable!

25. Lindsey says:

I want a fish taco and a margarita! All of that food looked so delicious — any chance of getting the recipes? :) And I think I want to fly you up to Seattle and do date night dinner parties for us haha!!

26. brandy says:

Wow! this looks absolutely amazing!!

27. Kc says:

Where can you buy prickly pear juicie?
    Thanks

28. Dianne says:

Hey Jenna! I agree. This one is the BEST for sure :)
    Prickly Pear Margarita

Ingredients:
    2 1/2 oz Prickly Pear Infused Tequila (Voodoo Tiki Desert Rose)

1/2 oz triple sec

2 oz sour mix

1/2 oz orange juice

dash of grenadine to color

sugar coated lime wheel for garnish

salt or sugar for rimming

Preparation:
    Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.

Shake well.

Strain into a chilled margarita glass with a sugar or salt rim.

Garnish with a sugar coated lime wheel.

29. Carolina says:

OMG! I had that a Prickly Pear Margarita made with the Voodoo Tiki Desert Rose in Florida! It was the BEST one yet! Any one know where to get it in Chicago?! I am craving it again and I don’t go back until next year :(

30. Wow it’s good to drink at summer

31. Muggs says:

I live in Cleveland, OH. I’ve been driving people absolutely freakin’ crazy about this outstanding margarita I had 3 years ago in Sedona, AZ. Because I prefer mine frozen, I would like to get the syrup/juice rather than the Voodoo Tike Rose. What is the prefered brand and where can I acquire this nonexistent Northeast product? Please HELP! I must have!!!

32. Muggs says:

I apologize for the redundancy of the “where can I buy” question. I re-read the article and found it under the last prickly pear margarita picture. Nontheless, thank you! I searched the Perfect Puree site and could not find the prickly pear mix. However, I found a new site and brand you may want to include. It is PERA: http://www.pricklypearfruit.com/. Happy celebrating for all!

33. kaitlin says:

okay so im turning 17 & im having a pretty in pink theme? i love the color & the soundm but cant do the booze! so is there another way of making this drink without it 7 with something different??? thank you!!

34. Jenna says:

Carolina
    I agree! The desert rose tequila makes the best Prickly Pear margarita. I have tried the puree and it is too sweet and syrupy. The prickly pear tequila is light and refreshing. I buy mine here in Washington State. Not sure where you will find it in Chicago. sorry