My New Website & Cake Designs

Lots of exciting things have been happening for me these last couple months and so I do apologize for the lack of posts, but I am happy to share my news with all of you!  I am so ecstatic to announce that my new business website is finally finished!  There are still some things that need to be added, but overall I am really happy with it and couldn’t wait any longer to share it with you.  My new site is Sweet & Saucy Shop and I would love for you to check it out and give me any feedback you have. My sweet husband, Tim, and one of my best friends, Karrie, created my site for me and I am so blessed to have their love and support for my business.  If you are looking for a great blog or website definitely check out their sites…24 Medium & Karrie Pyke Designs. Some other exciting news happened this week…I was featured in Karrie’s wedding photos that were published on one of the top wedding blogs Style Me Pretty!!!  I absolutely love Style Me Pretty and have always dreamed of having my products featured on their site.

I have also been working on some new cake designs this past week and will continue to do so this coming week.  I feel like I go through periods where I am really into cookies, then cupcakes, and finally now cakes. I definitely get bored doing the same thing over and over again, which is why I love having the flexibility to try new things.  So here are some photos of some recent cakes I made.  I would love to hear which one you like the most and why, so please drop me a comment and share your thoughts.  I tried some new techniques while decorating these cakes and will be sharing more of the details with you in future posts, but just to clarify some questions I know I will be asked I will share some of the details now.  Well, here come the photos!

No, I did not hand pipe this…this cake was done with cake stencils, which I absolutely love!  I will do a more detailed post on how this process is done in the near future and give all my tips and techniques!

I really do like simplistic cakes that have one focal point, so I chose a gorgeous dahlia to be the star this time.

For this cake I had Karrie design some graphic flower images for me and I printed them on frosting sheets and then applied them to the cake.  Very modern, graphic, and simplistic I think.  Again, I will be doing a more detailed post on this technique in the future.

And for this last cake I got inspired when I went to my local flower shop and saw this lovely, rustic branch and these button mums. I think this four tier type of cake works well with it too.

Before I end my post I wanted to share 6 random facts about myself with you since I was tagged by The Cupcakery…

1) I was actually going to be a school teacher and had almost finished my whole degree when I decided to switch careers and go into pastry school.

2) I have been dying to travel more and can’t wait until I get to go to Europe again…I would love to live in Florence for a couple months!

3) I am a Farmer’s Market fan and love checking out any and every one!

4) I grew up with foster brothers and sisters and now my sister has three gorgeous foster daughters that she is about to adopt…I definitely was blessed with inspiring parents.

5) My husband is the one that convinced me to start a blog and I will be forever thankful to him for that.

6) I actually knew my husband in jr. high, but we didn’t start dating until right after high school and then lasted through college and the rest is history…

Well, hope you enjoyed the random facts and don’t forget to check out all the links at the top!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

50 Responses to “My New Website & Cake Designs”

1. Nick says:

I think the best kind of cake is the one you dare not cut into and receive mixed feelings of guilt and pleasure when you finally do. Therefore, I would like to eat one of these cakes please.

2. Vera says:

Melody, congratulations on all your achievements, and anniversary as well! Every cake is charming on its own; it’s difficult to pick just one. I loved everything about your new shop, wonderfully designed, very stylish. I wish the best success to all your projects!

3. James says:

Wow, those are amazing! I had no idea there were printable frosting sheets. Now I have to go buy some ….

4. Alex says:

Congrats – great website and wonderful cakes. Best of luck!

5. Rachel says:

Hi Melody, great new website! It’s so pretty and modern, love the font for the headings too.
    You’re right about getting questions about your cakes….I have one already! I was just wondering how you get the sides of the cake so straight, considering that there are probably a few layers of cake to get the height. It’s something I find really tricky. Thanks!

6. Lucy says:

All of those cakes are stunning and its impossible to pick just one! If I have to I think the absolute best is the simple one – with the black ribbons and one focal point of the dramatic red flower. I also loved your new site – so stylish.
    x

7. Jenny says:

Love your new site! It is so cute and stylish. Really showcases your work beautifully! Great job!

8. bakingblonde says:

Wow! I love the clean lines of these cakes, they are gorgeous!! I wish I was able to decorate cakes that looks as great!

9. RecipeGirl says:

Your new site looks great. Best of luck with that!

The black & white one is my fave :)

10. Tiffany says:

everything is so beautiful! congratulations!

11. Megan says:

I want to make a cake similar to the black and white one next month for my parents 45th wedding anniversary. My biggest problem is dry cake. What do you use to keep them moist? I’ve tried every recipe, from all butter to no butter, but after a day or two, they are dry dry dry. Can you give me some advice?

Thanks so much!!

12. Terra says:

I really like the black and white cake, but I think it’s the background that I love; I’m afraid the cake alone might be too simple for me. I love the last one with the branch and mums. What do you use for your coordinating backgrounds for your cake photos?
    The new website looks great, especially the home page. Very nice!
    Also, I ditto Rachel’s question above: how do you get the sides so nice and straight. Mine tend to buckle a bit around the middle. Do you make your own fondant or use a particular brand?

13. CC says:

Wow! Congratulations! Your new cakes are amazing. Are they dummies, or did you actually make cakes? Either way, your dedication is remarkable.

14. Kristen says:

Oh I love your new website! It is gorgeous. Well done!
    And these cakes are amazing, as always. Another job well done!

15. noble pig says:

Congrats on your site and beautiful cakes, really!

16. Rosie says:

Congratulations on your new site and what amazing cakes – well done :D

Rosie x

17. Zoe Francois says:

This is fantastic, your wedding cakes are gorgeous! Congratulations.

18. Tanya says:

The new website looks great!

I love the cakes, especially the blue flower one. These are so striking! I love these simple designs.

19. snookydoodle says:

I love the cake with the dhalia looks so sophisticated yet simple.They re all great though. Wish to see more tutorials.Nice blog. I m going to visit your new site now :-)

20. grace says:

it’s about time your amazing work was honored with its own site–you’re amazing, congratulations! :)

21. Bobby says:

Very nice looking website! Wanna know what else is nice looking? That cake, it looks amazing! That thing is stacked, very nice.

22. cakebrain says:

Congrats on your wonderful new website! Your cakes are, as usual, stunning.

23. Leslie says:

I just went to your Shop site..and I must say it is VERY impressive! You are so very talented!
    Thank you for your comment on my cake pops..they were fun to make!

24. Maria says:

CONGRATS! I love your new site! The pictures and colors are amazing! Great job! I am so excited for you! I also looked at Style Me Pretty…what a beautiful cake! And I love these new cakes too! You are very talented!! Can’t wait to see more of your work!!

25. christina says:

Oh no! Your website is not supported on my work browser. We must be that old school over here!

26. Melody, I never ever doubted about you being the best! You are the best! I love your cakes! I love your cake design – there is beauty in the simplicity! Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

27. linda says:

Congratulations on everything! Love your new site!
    I like the the cake with the black ribbons and red dahlia best but I love the one with the stencils a lot too.

28. Eileen says:

I love all the cakes; they’re absolutely stunning and creative. I guess I’ll have to choose the last cake with the button mums. You know how I love fresh flowers.

29. Jenn says:

Congrats on the new shop, I could spend all day clicking on all the yummy little pictures ..haha !

30. Deborah says:

Those are some of the most beautiful cakes I’ve seen! I’m heading over to check out the new website now…

31. congratulations! your cakes are gorgeous and so original!~

32. Amy says:

Thanks for stopping by our blog! I absolutely love your website! It is so fun!

33. cindy says:

i love all of these! especially the stencil, graphic flower, and dahlia. gorgeous!

34. Angela says:

The website is fantastic, you have a real talent for what you do. I love them all but sadly live too far away to ever taste them. The cookies have to be my favourite though.

35. Ohhhh, I am so excited for you! Everything looks amazing. I am in the process of starting my business legitimately and I get all screamy inside every time I think about it…you must feel the same way. Congrats on all of your sucesses. Oh by the way, I have dubbed you a kick ass blogger, check out my site for more info. Love ya!

Carrie

36. Mel,
    I love all the cakes. O they make me want to have another wedding… but I think just getting the cake would be easier!

Congrats on all that is going on in your life!

Hugs, hugs!

37. farida says:

Melody, congrats on your web site! I just sneaked a peek at it, and found it beautiful! Very user-friendly!

Your cake looks absolutely amazing. I wish I had your talents for cake making:) They look like a piece of art to me that I wouldn’t dare to ruin by eating:)

BTW, loved your random facts:)

38. DLB says:

Your new site looks great.
    The dahlia cake really appealed to me… it’s elegant and refined, and I love the red, black and white colours. Great job on all three!

39. Cakespy says:

Gosh, I can’t tell which is prettier, the new design or the cakes! It’s all wonderful!!

40. Mel I’m in love with that dahlia cake! Congratulation on the new website! It looks amazing and I’m sure it will bring a lot of sucess your way!

41. mimi says:

congrats on all the great news! love the business website, it has a great design. my favorite is the dahlia cake, really gorgeous!

42. Anita says:

Congrats Melody! All your cakes look gorgeous – I’m sure this is just the start of a fabulous adventure for you!

43. Jude says:

Congratulations and the new website looks fantastic.
    Your cakes are so beautiful.

44. tartelette says:

Your cakes are more creative and original each day!! Hard work is acknowledged, and all your achievements and features are proof of that. Congratulations!

45. Emiline says:

I love all the designs – simplistic is wonderful.

That’s so sweet about your hubby!

Okay, off to visit your web site. Congrats!

46. venus says:

Hi there~

Love all the cake designs! Your site looks great – ery posh and modern!

47. Michele says:

I love your style.

48. Leslie says:

I just got a chance to view your website as I had to download a newer version of Internet Explorer before I could see it! It is awesome! It is just as beautiful as all of those yummy treats are. Congratulations!!

49. Lush says:

GORGEOUS! I agree that simple cakes with a focal point are very elegant and beautiful!

Thank you for dropping by to see my cupcake stand! It was amazing to see how peices of wood and fabric became such a stand, but then again, look what you do with a little flour and sugar!!!

Thanks again and keep up the yummy good work!

LUSH

50. Crummb says:

Hi Melody,

Thank you so much for answering my question a few months ago. I have another question: I see that your cakes in this post are very tall – about 4 inches per tier, I think?. I’m making a wedding cake for a friend next week (yikes!) and I have trouble covering a 4-inch tier with fondant. Instead of wrapping the sides properly, it bunched up into “waves”.

I’m wondering if you had the same problem at all? Maybe my fondant was too stiff? I’ve used Rose Levy Beranbaum’s recipe for classic rolled fondant (from her The Cake Bible) but found it a little too wet for my climate (I’m from Singapore). What recipe do you use, if I may ask?

Would appreciate any tip/advice you could give. Thanks much babe :)