Cupcake Class Plus A Yummy Recipe

My cooking classes are in full swing and this time I have some fun photos from Prep Kitchen Essentials latest class on Cupcakes!!!  We had a great menu full of tasty cupcakes, fillings, and frostings and also played around with some fondant and marzipan.  We used the fondant to make little embellishments for the top of our cupcakes by imprinting them with scrapbooking stamps.  To check out this technique you can look at some of my past posts.  I will also show the easy pumpkin making technique in another post this week.  So here goes the menu for the class:

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cream Frosting

Peanut Butter Milk Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Ganache Glaze

Candy Bar Cupcakes: Brown Sugar Cake, Caramel Filling, & Peanut Butter Chocolate Ganache Frosting

As you can see we had a great time and they came out with some yummy creations.  As always, I couldn’t leave you without one yummy recipe from the class so here it is!

Candy Bar Cupcakes

adapted from Demolition Desserts

Caramel sauce

1/2 cup water

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar or fresh lemon juice

2 cup (14 ounces) granulated sugar

½ c. light corn syrup

2 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan with high sides, mix together the water, cream of tartar and sugar. Add the corn syrup and stir until just combined. Place the pan over high heat and cover. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture comes to full rolling boil. Remove the lid, and cook until the syrup is a dark amber, 5-7 minutes. Remove the pan and add the butter. Carefully add the cream, standing back because it will sizzle and pop. It may form clumps, but that’s fine. The lumps will melt when the caramel is put back over the heat.

Place the pan over medium-low heat and stir gently with a whisk. Bring the mixture back to a boil and as soon as you see bubbles around the edge, remove it from the heat and strain the mixture into a heatproof container. Stir in the salt and vanilla and set aside to cool. Use immediately or refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

Brown sugar cupcakes

3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt

16 tablespoons (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened but still cool

1 ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon granulated sugar

4 large eggs, room temperature

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 ½ cup whole milk

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a 24 cup standard muffin pan with paper liners

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the salt and set aside. In a large bowl, using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla.

On low speed, add the flour mixture in three additions and the milk in two additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and beating after each addition for about 15 seconds or until combined. Divide the batter evenly among the cups.

Bake the cupcakes, rotating the pan after 10 minutes, for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cook in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, loosen the cupcakes from the pan, then let them cool completely in the pan before removing them.

Fill the cupcakes with the caramel sauce by putting the sauce in a 8-ounce squirt bottle with the tip cut to about 1/4-inch wide, plunging the tip into the center of the cupcake, and squeezing. When you see the top of the cupcake rise just slightly, stop squeezing the bottle and slowly pull the tip out of the cupcake. Don’t worry if some of the sauce comes out of the top; it’ll be covered with frosting.

Frosting

4 tablespoons (2 ounce) unsalted butter, softened but still cool

1 ¼ c. powdered sugar, sifted

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2 teaspoon whole milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

10 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped

7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1 heavy cream

6 tablespoons peanut butter

Garnish

1 cup salted, roasted peanuts

Fleur de sel for sprinkling

In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds to 1 minute until light and creamy. Gradually add the sugar while continuing to beat, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. When all the sugar has been incorporated, add the salt, milk, vanilla and lemon juice, beating well after each addition. Then continue to beat on high speed for 5-6 minutes until fluffy. Set aside.

In a heatproof bowl, combine the chocolates. In a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or just until it comes to a boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the peanut butter. Let mixture cool for 10-20 minutes, then whisk in the butter frosting. You should have about 1 1/4 cups.

Spread the frosting over the filled cupcakes with an offset icing spatula. Garnish with the peanuts and a few grains of fleur de sel.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “Cupcake Class Plus A Yummy Recipe”

1. Tanya says:

Genius idea to use acrylic stamps for fondant! I scrapbook and make cards, so I have tons of cute acrylic stamps. I never thought to use them this way.

2. That looks like a busy and fun class! I love the picture with the girl with sugar on her face, so cute! Your stamps are amazing, where do you get them from?

3. Starry says:

Hiya, I’m very interested to know what you call those stamps you stamp the icing with. Not seen anything like it in my local supply store. Just the basic lettering etc.

Thanks!

4. Carmen says:

Oh my gosh! Your class looks like so much fun – i would totally take it if I was in the area. :)

5. Ingrid says:

Man, I so want to take some of your classes. Not only would they be FUN but I could learn so much! Looks like you cover quite a bit of material.

I see everyone’s asking about your stamps. Well, HA, I’ve been paying attention and know that you already mentioned they are sold at Target. (do I get brownies point for knowing the correct answer?) Michael’s also has some Martha Stewart ones at a decent price if you have their coupon. I bought some (Target) already,maybe one day I’ll give the fondant a try!

~ingrid

6. Maria says:

What a fun class! All of the cupcakes look divine and so pretty too!! Thanks for sharing a recipe!

7. lisa says:

Do you make your own fondant? Or, can you recommend a purchased one that tastes really great?

8. Bridget says:

What a great idea to use the scrapbooking stamps! I love it!

9. Deborah says:

How creative to use the scrapbooking stamps! And I love that the little girls have flour on their faces – too cute!

10. Tiffany says:

those cupcakes sound, stop your heart, fantastic! and i think i have all the ingredients on hand to make today. thanks for sharing!

11. Jaime says:

such innovative ideas! I wish cupcakes were cool where I live. I’ll just have to start a movement of my own!

12. Mayan says:

the red velvet cupcake looks especially delicious and the fondant topper is adorable

13. Nicisme says:

Thanks so much for sharing your photos of the class, I would love to have a go too.

14. Laurie says:

Oooh, I love your decorative presses, so that’s how you do it! :)

15. Kathy says:

Hi Melody! I love the stamping idea…I’ve been trying it on some of my cakes and I get so many compliments from it! Thanks for sharing your ideas so freely!!!! Question…what size round tip do you use to pipe frosting on the cupcakes? You’re awesome! :o)

16. Leslie says:

Oh my goodness!!! That looks like a blast!! Love all the different cupcake flavors!
    Thanks for your comment on my Oreo Turkeys!

17. Jenny says:

Love these posts with your cooking classes! I would love to join in the fun!

18. Lorie says:

Using your stamps!!! That is a brilliant idea! Now I might need two sets of each of my stamps!! :X

19. cindy says:

i love the little embossed medallions on the red velvet cupcakes! so cute~

20. cakebrain says:

I have so many stamps that I haven’t used…and this would be such a wonderful way to utilize them! I wish I could attend some of your classes!

21. Emiline says:

Mmm, candy bar cupcakes. I’ve got to pick up that cookbook! It’s on my list.

The classes always look like fun and you guys make such delicious-looking goodies.

22. Kay says:

I wish I had these skills, but I simply don’t. It always ends up disastrous. Baking is for the gifted among us :)

I love to look at it and eat it, though!

23. snookydoodle says:

wow nice cupcakes. Wish I could attend this courses . Seems they re great fun :-)

24. grace says:

that looks like an incredible amount of fun! meanwhile, i’d just like a bowl of caramel sauce to nosh on please. :)

25. Sara Angel says:

What a great idea! These look gorgeous!

26. Okay, I know I’m being greedy here…but I have GOT to have the recipe for those chocolate chunk cupcakes! It’s like cookies and cupcakes got together and had a very beautiful baby…

And seriously, if they’d had cupcake classes when I was in school, maybe I’d have been a better student! Where do I sign up :)

27. chefectomy says:

Love the blue Fondant, very cool. Not so big on Red Velvet CCs – not getting the interest in that right now.

28. Great post. The cooking class looks like a ton of fun. Now if only I weren’t a few time zones away I would attend one. hehe. Thanks for visiting my site.

29. admin says:

Thanks for all the comments you guys!
    Kathy- I normally use a #8 or #9 round tip…good luck piping
    Lisa- I have tried making my own fondant, but prefer to use premade fondant as I find the quality more consistent. I use Satin Ice Fondant and find that my customers really like it. You can google it and find it at many online stores or cake decorating store.
    Clumbsy Cookie- I have a link at the top of the post which goes to another post I did on the stamps. This post has the link to where you can find these stamps online. You can also find some at Target. Have fun with them!

30. Tasha says:

Hi! Just wanted to let you know I absolutely LOVE mysweetandsaucy! I check in with it everyday after myspace for new ideas! Your fondant princess cake you posted several months ago inspired me to try my own and I’ve been hooked on baking ever since! You are SO talented! Keep up the good work!

31. Nikki says:

they’re all so pretty!!

32. BeccaBoo says:

That class does look amazing. I am so glad I found your blog. I love it and can’t wait to try some of the yummy recipes. I also linked your blog to mine. I hope you don’t mind!

33. [...] crushed 1 1/2  T sugar 1  t cinnamon 1/2 T butter, melted For the cupcakes: recipe courtesy of My Sweet & Saucy (I halved her recipe) 1 1/2 c + 2 T flour 1 t baking powder 1/2 t kosher salt 1/2 c unsalted [...]

34. Christina says:

In the frosting recipe, it says 1 heavy cream, is it 1 cup?

35. Marilyn says:

I have made cookies and a cake from your previous cookie and cake postings. Yours are beautiful and mine are let’s say, ‘interesting’, LOL. You inspire me with so many of your ideas. I am hoping you can post a vanilla cupcake recipe that tastes as wonderful as the rest of the recipes you share. Thank you so much for always sharing your recipes and ideas Melody.
    From Marilyn in Canada.