Well, after some pretty busy work weeks I found myself with a free weekend night (a rare thing for me) and so some friends and I planned a last minute summer BBQ. We all love good food so instead of buying in lots of stuff we all brought dishes…it was so much fun! I made a total of four things with the help of my friend Kate. I tried a new recipe from Food & Wine magazine and absolutely loved it. The recipe is from Sue Zemanick, who was voted “Best New Chef” by Food & Wine magazine a few months back. The recipe was Chile-Lime Crab Salad with Tomato & Avocado. I highly recommend trying it out and not skimping on the the quality of the ingredients. This salad is so fresh and tasty, but must have top quality ingredients for you to get the full experience.
Like I said, we had a fabulous night and of course I had to fully document it with fun photos. I also have to thank my friend Matt for providing some great eye candy for you too…I can always count on him for good photos! So to let you in on the rest of the menu we had Crostini with Burrata, Olive Tapenade, Arugala, & Prosciutto, a delicious Farro, Cherry Tomato, & Arugala Salad made by my private chef friend, Jonathan, homemade grilled pizzas by my chef friend, Brian, and two desserts by yours truly…I will describe more later! So I hope you enjoy checking out the photos!
And for dessert I made Sour Cream & Lemon Sorbet with Gingersnap Cookies and Pichet Ong’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. Both desserts were extremely yummy! I will be doing a full post on the Reese’s Bar to come so watch out for them because they will knock your socks off!
Thanks for checking them out! Here is the recipe for the Chile-Lime Crab Salad!
Chile-Lime Crab Salad with Tomato & Avocado
adapted from Sue Zumanick
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 1/2 Hass avocados, diced ( 1/2 inch)
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cut into four 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice with the olive oil, vegetable oil, jalapeño, chopped cilantro, honey and garlic. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the crab with 3 tablespoons of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, gently toss the avocado with the red onion and 2 tablespoons of the dressing; season with salt and pepper.