Fun, Food, & Great Friends

Well, after some pretty busy work weeks I found myself with a free weekend night (a rare thing for me) and so some friends and I planned a last minute summer BBQ. We all love good food so instead of buying in lots of stuff we all brought dishes…it was so much fun!  I made a total of four things with the help of my friend Kate. I tried a new recipe from Food & Wine magazine and absolutely loved it.  The recipe is from Sue Zemanick, who was voted “Best New Chef” by Food & Wine magazine a few months back.  The recipe was Chile-Lime Crab Salad with Tomato & Avocado.  I highly recommend trying it out and not skimping on the the quality of the ingredients.  This salad is so fresh and tasty, but must have top quality ingredients for you to get the full experience.

Like I said, we had a fabulous night and of course I had to fully document it with fun photos.  I also have to thank my friend Matt for providing some great eye candy for you too…I can always count on him for good photos!  So to let you in on the rest of the menu we had Crostini with Burrata, Olive Tapenade, Arugala, & Prosciutto, a delicious Farro, Cherry Tomato, & Arugala Salad made by my private chef friend, Jonathan, homemade grilled pizzas by my chef friend, Brian, and two desserts by yours truly…I will describe more later!  So I hope you enjoy checking out the photos!

And for dessert I made Sour Cream & Lemon Sorbet with Gingersnap Cookies and Pichet Ong’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars.  Both desserts were extremely yummy! I will be doing a full post on the Reese’s Bar to come so watch out for them because they will knock your socks off!

Thanks for checking them out! Here is the recipe for the Chile-Lime Crab Salad!

Chile-Lime Crab Salad with Tomato & Avocado

adapted from Sue Zumanick

Serves 4

• 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon very finely chopped jalapeño
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus cilantro leaves for garnish
  • 1/2 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
  • 1 1/2 Hass avocados, diced ( 1/2 inch)
  • 1/3 cup minced red onion
  • 1 large heirloom tomato, cut into four 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • Tortilla chips, for serving
  • In a small bowl, combine the lime juice with the olive oil, vegetable oil, jalapeño, chopped cilantro, honey and garlic. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the crab with 3 tablespoons of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, gently toss the avocado with the red onion and 2 tablespoons of the dressing; season with salt and pepper.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Fun, Food, & Great Friends”

1. Can I be your friend and go to those dinner partys? Everything looks so great! Better than in any restaurant! Thanks for sharing Mel!

2. Tiffany says:

how fun! the food looks delicious–perhaps i should make some chef friends! :)

3. Kris says:

Wow! Can’t wait for the peanut butter and chocolate dessert post!

4. Eileen says:

Don’t forget who carried you in her womb for 9 months when you have another one of these delicious, decadent dinner parties.

Mom

5. Vera says:

The food looks amazing. I will sure try this salad. Thank you for the recipe.

6. Emiline says:

Did my comment go through? Testing, testing…123

7. Yum! And aren’t you all just the prettiest group I have seen! Too cute. I wanna come to your party….or better yet, next time you are in Maine…(if ever) let me know and I’ll have ya over. Great post!

8. Ingrid says:

How fun! Enjoy it because once you have children your impromptu dinner parties are over. :-)
    Everything looked great but more importantly everyone looked like they were having a grand time! I’m with Clumsby Cookie can we be friends? I promise the kids will be good and they love to try new foods!? LOL!

~Ingrid

9. Maria says:

What a fun dinner party! I love all of the food you served! Thanks for the crab recipe. The desserts look heavenly too!! I love making homemade ice cream. Your guests were lucky!

10. grace says:

good-looking food, good-looking people. how could you not have a good time? :)

11. Arika says:

Oh wow that all looks divine! I loooove Pichet Ong recipes and those cookies sound wonderful. He has a great recipe for ginger oatmeal raisin cookies if you like ginger.

12. Deborah says:

Now that’s some delicious sounding and looking food!! What a bbq!

13. Tiffany says:

That chili-lime crab salad sounds (and looks) amazing! Yum.

14. DanaD says:

AMAZING!! I can’t wait to see the Reese’s bar recipe.

15. Sheenah says:

Wow! Everything looks so great. I will have to try that recipie out for the next girl’s night.

16. farida says:

Looks like you all had a great time together! Everything looks delicious and everybody is beautiful!

17. diva says:

everything looks so delicious and everyone so happy! i think u had the best bbq ever :) x

18. Kim says:

What fun you- look like a cute group of friends that enjoy each others company a lot! Love the chili lime crab salad, thanks.

19. toontz says:

Mmmm…can’t wait to have that sorbet recipe! Just received that ice-cream attachment for my birthday, so I am scouring the blogs for recipes!

20. mattyc says:

we are amazing and know how to have a GOOOOD time.

21. Cakespy says:

Wow, I wish I could have been there! Looks like an amazing time, and awesome food!!

22. zenchef says:

Sounds like a really fun day! Everything from the crab salad to the peanut butter bars looks delicious. You Ladies are quite sexy too! :-)

23. mimi says:

wow, looks like a great party! and that crab salad sounds amazing, definitely want to try this next time we have bbq!

24. Prudence says:

Looks SO good!! Sounds like you had a GREAT time!! BTW- I LOVE that comment from your Mom. It had me crackin’ up! I am going to use that one on my girls!!

25. snookydoodle says:

How many nice treats and foodies yummy . great photos too

26. cakebrain says:

Oh my. I’ve been eyeing Ong’s recipe for a while. I’m so glad you made it. It looks fantastic! You’re so fortunate to have so many foodie friends in your life! In my real world, I actually can’t say I have any friends that share my passion for food!

27. Aran says:

fun party! and you are going to the notter school? fantastic… i have taken three of his classes and he is amazing! he came to our school to teach chocolate and sugar work. his school is in orlando right? i really don’t know that area but if you come down to palm beach, we should meet!

28. Kamille says:

I wanted to say that I ran into your blog & website and really enjoy it. I like your baking supplies section, which has led me to places I never knew about. Thanks for sharing your recipes and works of art online. One question I had is, do you find your kitchen aid ice cream maker to produce good ice cream. I have one and have used it twice, but am not sure how great it is. Thanks