New Cooking Classes

Cooking classes are definitely a huge passion of mine.  As some of you might know, before I went into the pastry field I was actually studying to be an elementary school teacher.  All of my life this is the job I thought I was going to go into and was blessed to be able to work as an aide for many years.  I absolutely loved teaching, but felt that God was leading me into a new passion and I jumped head first into it and have never turned back since.  However, God knew He didn’t give me the love for teaching and sharing my passions with others for nothing and has helped me find ways in this new field to share and bless others.  I feel so honored to be able to help and guide others that share my same passion for desserts and food and inspire those that never knew they had it within them.  I have loved being able to teach classes at Prep Kitchen Essentials in Seal Beach and at my church Rockharbor in Costa Mesa and now I am excited to announce a new opportunity that I have been given.  This month I am starting to teach cake decorating classes at MiraCosta College in Oceanside, CA.  I am teaching three separate courses that consist of three classes each.  Here are the three classes…

Module 1 – Basic Cake Decorating (9/08-10/08) $120

This relaxed and friendly course takes you through the basics of using a
variety of icings to decorate typical cakes required for birthdays,
graduations, etc.  You will be shown techniques related to piping, use
of modeling paste for flowers and ornaments, and the covering of cakes
using a variety of icings tools and equipment. This will be taught as a
beginners level course.  Perfect for either the recreational cake
designer or the individual who wishes to gain professional skills.

Module 2 – Wedding Cakes (10/08-11/08) $120
This course is suitable for creative cake-makers who may have completed
a beginners cake-decorating course. The course will primarily focus on
the techniques and styles needed to decorate beautiful wedding cakes.
Please do not sign up for this class if you are not familiar with the
basic principles of cake decorating.

Module 3 – Specialty Cakes (11/08-12/08) $120
This course caters for participants who wish to advance their basic
skills.  Learn a variety of new, contemporary techniques using icing and
fondant, allowing you to create beautiful and unique cakes.  On
completion of the course, students will have a greater understanding of
cake design and the satisfaction and confidence to further their
abilities.

The classes still have spots left in them and are priced quite low for how much information you will be learning in them.  If you are interested in signing up just check out their website and they can give you all the information.  Hope to see some of you there!

Well before leaving I wanted to share some photos with you from my cooking class at Rockharbor.  This class was on appetizers and we had a great time!  The menu was…

Sun-Dried Tomato Dip with Pita Chips

Caribbean Shrimp Salad with Lime Vinaigrette

Crostini with Fresh Mozzarella, Arugula, Prosciutto, & Olive Tapenade

Bruschetta

I wanted to pass on this recipe of Ina Garten’s from Barefoot Contessa.  Her recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato Dip is fantastic and extremely easy…a double winner in my book!  I highly recommend that you try it!

Tags: , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “New Cooking Classes”

1. Ingrid says:

Man, I so wish I could take ANY one of your classes or ALL of your classes! I’m certain that with the cake decorating ones I would have learned far more with you than with the Wilton’s courses I took at Michael. Are you sure you wouldn’t like Florida? ha-ha!

Congrats on the new position! I am certain that you will be well loved by your students.

~ingrid

2. Emiline says:

That’s wonderful that you’ll be teaching cake decorating classes. I feel proud of you, even though I’m not your mom or anything.
    I’d be there if I lived in CA.

3. Terra says:

Oh, I wish I lived in CA. Your classes would be a blast!
    I, too, thought that I would be an elem. teacher my whole life. I decided to started having children while doing my student teaching, though, so I am a stay-at-home mom with a newfound passion for decorating cakes!

4. Wow the classes sound a lot of fun, both the one you gave and the cake decorating one you’re preparing! Good luck with thme, they’ll be a sucess I know it!

5. Kim says:

So much fun, too bad I am far away! I am not at all surprised that good things are coming your way!

6. Mandy says:

it’s great to be able to do what you like! And I do believe that one’s enthusiasm is infectious. Your students will definitely enjoy learning from someone who’s passionate about pastry like you. :)

7. tartelette says:

You are one busy gal! Looks like everybody is having a great time!

8. chefectomy says:

Looks like a great time Mel. If I hadn’t recently moved from SD I might havet taken your class!

–Marc

9. Tiffany says:

congratulations on the new set of classes!

10. Kris says:

I went to the college website, but couldn’t find any info on those particular classes?

11. Pam says:

How fun! Teaching classes would be such a thrill. Your cakes look absolutley beautiful – you are so talented.

12. Jenny says:

Your classes always look so much fun, I can see why they are such a hit. Your cakes and food look just beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

13. Vera says:

Melody, congratulations on the new opportunity! You sound so excited! I’m sure all your students will learn a lot.

14. Nicisme says:

Good luck with the classes, looks like you all have a lot of fun!

15. Maria says:

Your classes look so fun! I wish I was closer so I could take one!! Good luck and have fun!! I love the Happy Birthday cake!

16. Adam says:

Hi Melody, thanks for your class at ROCKharbor! I was there, making the Crustini and tapenade, group picture third from the bottom in the hat. :-) I made the Caribbean Salad for my wife this weekend, and she loved it! Oh and one tablespoon for the Chile Sauce did the trick!

17. Jodie says:

I’m DYING to take the module 3 cake decorating class. I looked on the website, but can’t find the class listed anywhere?!!

18. If I lived in CA I would definitely sign up!

19. bakerella says:

I want to come to class with you. Looks like fun.

20. RecipeGirl says:

Shoot. I wished I lived closer. I’m near Del Mar, and Oceanside is just too tough to try and get to with my little one at home and my hubby traveling. I’ll have to look forward to maybe taking one of your classes in the future! Good luck..

21. Shari says:

Your classes look so fun! Amazing cakes!

22. Becky says:

You have no idea how bad I wish I lived close enough to take one of these classes. Can we hire you to come do some in Utah? I haven’t been able to find ANY around here!

23. bigboysoven says:

Just wish I can attend your class!

24. Laurie says:

Congratulations on your new cooking classes! Wow.. you are driving a lot!! When we lived in L.B. we used to drive to Costa Mesa for church too.. but out to Oceanside, yikes!! I’ll be saying a prayer for traveling mercies for you! A young gal who is like another daughter to me goes to Vanguard University and on her spare time attends Rock Harbor Sunday services! :)

I would love to find out sometime how you started teaching cooking classes at your church.. We make grocery bags for the church family who are financially hurting right now, and often we have gals asking how to prepare the items in the bags. Do you do this as a ministry? Do you provide the food or do they purchase it?

25. zenchef says:

You’re really good at what you do! Keep teaching those yummy classes and enjoy all your success. I see a lot of happy faces on the these pictures.

26. carolina says:

Hi, my name is carolina and I’m interesting in cake decor classes. I saw this website and I would like some information please. I live in costa mesa,ca.
    Thanks you.

27. Kris says:

would love some info on cake decorating classes. I live in Aliso Viejo, CA.