Halloween Cupcakes: Ghosts & Witches Hats

So sorry for the long delay in posts!  Life has been crazy with lots of ups and downs.  Sadly my class in Florida with Colette Peters got cancelled 5 days before I was suppose to fly out…don’t ask me how something like that can happen!  So since we had already planned on a vacation we decided to at least go to San Francisco for a couple days.  We ended up having a great time and I have LOTS of photos to come. Before I show all the travel pictures I wanted to share with you my last tutorial for Halloween cupcakes.  So onto the cupcakes!

To make these little ghosts you just need a little white fondant.  Roll the fondant out and cut it with a circle cookie cutter (the size depends on what size you want your ghosts).  Then place the fondant on top of two stacked cotton balls.  Let the fondant dry for about 30 minutes and then check to see if it has hardened.

Then use an edible marker to draw on the black eyes.  Place the little ghost on top of your cupcake and you’re done!

Now to make a different kind of ghost for your cupcake…you need to form the fondant into a ghost like shape.  Then use a balling tool or something with a rounded end and push it into the fondant to make the two eyes and mouth.  Next gently pull out the sides to make the ghost’s hands/arms.  Lastly use a toothpick to make indents on the sides of the ghost to give it some definition.

Now just place your ghost on your cupcake and you have one haunted dessert!

If you don’t want a ghost on your cupcake you can change it up a little and make a witches hat.  To make the hat you need to roll out some black fondant and use a witches hat cookie cutter to cut out the shape.

Then roll out your choice of colored fondant and cut them into strips to add some color to the hat.  Adhere the strips with a dab of water.  Next brush the whole figure with luster dust to give it a shimmer.  Finally pipe on a couple dots of either royal icing or ganache and attach silver dragees.

Hope you guys are having fun making cupcakes!

Tags: , , , ,

40 Responses to “Halloween Cupcakes: Ghosts & Witches Hats”

1. Those are so creative! Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Nicole says:

Thanks for the instructions. These are so cute! I love the sprinkles, too!

3. mrs k says:

may I? I made ghost cupcakes the other day and what I did was stack a little one on top of the big one (the little one was upside down) and frosted and put the fondant over both of them – they looked very adorable and all of it was edible :)

4. mrs k says:

PS- yours are way cute!

5. love these! after the 1st ghost dries on the cotton balls, does it just stand on its own atop the cupcake with nothing underneath?

so sad about the class cancellation. but yay for san francisco!

6. You make the most beautiful things always, Melody! I love the ghosts!

7. Lindsey says:

I love Halloween, and I love when the themed baking (and cooking) comes out!

8. Ingrid says:

Thanks for another FAB tutorial. I have a coupon for Michael’s & I’m FINALLY going to buy some fondant to play around with….wish me luck!

That was a bummer about your class here in sunny, Florida. I was really hoping you’d come out and just fall in love with our friendliness, sunshine, cheaper living, and move here! ;-) Rats!
    ~ingrid

9. admin says:

Abigall- Yes, the ghost, once dried, can stand all by itself on the cupcake. Good luck!

10. Jenny says:

YOU are SOOO Good. Love all of your designs!

11. snookydoodle says:

wow these look great. :)

12. Lisa says:

I’m so sad for you that your class was cancelled! Hopefully they can make it up to you somehow.
    I actually was down from Northern Cal to Southern Cal and, based on your rec, went to Surfas! It was great – even my hubby liked it. Thanks for the rec. I will have to go restock my supply at Thanksgiving. Such an amazing place!

Of course, I forgot paramount crystals, the thing I needed the most! :{

Thanks also for the tutorials! Let me know if you are doing any classes over Thanksgiving or Christmas.

13. Roxy says:

So sorry to hear about your class cancellation :( I was so excited about all the new tips and techniques you were going to learn. I hope you can reschedule sometime soon. Thanks for sharing another great tutorial with us. I have a mini witch’s hat, bat and pumpkin cutter and a tub of black fondant! Can’t wait to start decorating cupcakes for Halloween!

14. So cute Mel! They’re all cool, but my favourite is the first gost, he’s adorable. So sad about the class, but at least you guys had a good time, so that’s all it counts! Can’t wait for the pictures!

15. RecipeGirl says:

SOO cute! I’m lovin’ all of the Halloween treats!

16. Those are adorably scary!

17. cakebrain says:

Jeepers, creepers, they’re so cute!

18. Me says:

WOW! I am very impressed with your work. I checked out your shop and LOVE your cupcake creations. Excellent work. I shared it on my blog with credit to you and your blog.

19. ann says:

I’m sorry to hear that your class was cancelled, but at least you were able to do something else. Thanks for the tutorial on this, I think I have to make it now for halloween.

20. buuuuuhhhh…. a ghost in a cupcake!!

I’m deliciously surprised!!

21. You are soooo creative those look totally adorable thanks for sharing!!!

22. Barefootster says:

What a cute idea! Love the second one….

23. Tiffany says:

the cupcakes are adorable! sorry about your class with colette peters…but at least you still got a vaca out of it.

24. Emiline says:

These are the cutest cupcakes! If I get my act together, I might make some.

Sorry about the class. :(

25. Okay, the bloody finger freaked me out a little, but these are sooo cute!!!

Sorry about your class, sometimes life is so stupid! :)

26. diva says:

these cupcakes are awesome and oh so adorable! you’re way too talented!! :)

27. Jude says:

Thanks for the fun post!

28. Shari says:

Those ghosts are too cute!

29. Leslie says:

Love these so very much!! I love anything Halloween related!

30. Coby says:

Thank you for this tutorial. This looks like something I might just be able to achieve! They look fabulous – never seen a witches hat cookie cutter yet, but I think I can manage the ever-so-cute ghosts:) Hope your course can be re-scheduled.

31. Lexi says:

You could also probably use bits of cotton candy to make fully edible ghosts.

32. Maria says:

Love both of these! They are perfect for the season! I know the kiddies would love them!

33. admin says:

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the comments… I think there was a little confusion with the floating ghosts though After the fondant has dried on top of the cotton balls, then you take the ghost off and place it on the cupcake…the cotton balls don’t go on the cupcake and therefore don’t need to be edible. The fondant will harden enough for the fondant ghosts to stand on their own. Hope that helps!

34. bobby says:

Very creative, these cupcakes look amazing and so tasty too! Great tutorial with amazing photos.

35. Those ghosts are absolutely adorable! You never cease to amaze me with your creativity.

36. kendra says:

Hi
    I love the hat, how can I make black icing or fondant? what do you use for color.
    tahnk you. Kendra

37. Milly says:

Thanks so much for the brilliant idea! My ghost cupcakes were a huge hit – though not nearly as pretty as yours. :)

38. Cheryl says:

I’ve enjoyed reading about and seeing your cakes and cupcakes. Tomorrow we are doing our annual Halloween meal in our family; I’m making some fun cupcakes, hoping they turn out well.

39. [...] En sentido de las agujas del reloj, receta Cupcakes insectos, receta cupcake araña, receta galletas, receta cupcake fantasma [...]