Recent Wedding & Birthday Cakes

Thanks again for all of your kind comments!  I absolutely loved reading them and they truly brighten my day! I have been doing a couple cakes here and there and wanted to wait and post them all at the same time.  So hopefully you enjoy the photos and possibly even get some ideas for cakes you want to make at home.  The first cake is a wedding cake I did this past weekend.  The couple wanted a Tiffany Blue Square Cake with an Asian feel.  They wanted small twisting branches and white dogwood flowers.  I was quite happy with how this cake turned out and thankfully it had no glitches along the way and was quite fun to make.

The branches were made out of modeling chocolate and the dogwood flowers were handmade with a mixture of gumpaste and fondant.  I glued the flowers onto the cake with white coating chocolate that sets up quickly and piped brown royal icing in the middle of the flowers for the center.

This next cake was one that I made a while back for a two year olds birthday party.  The theme was Mickey Mouse Club House.  Sadly I forgot to take a photo of the final completed cake and I have never received a photo from the family, but I thought that I might as well post some photos of parts of the cake.  This cake was quite a challenge and very technical to make.  It was basically a full sheet cake that had different parts of Mickey Mouse’s Clubhouse on it.  Overall it turned out good, but was a headache to make.

This last cake was one that I made for my mother-in-law.  She was throwing a party for a friend’s birthday and needed a cake, so she said I could experiment with one.  I tried a new recipe of a chocolate cake with chocolate salted caramel ganache and salted caramel sauce…it was quite tasty, but hard to work with.  For this cake though I wanted to play around with using printed edible frosting sheets, so I scanned in one of my favorite scrapbooking papers and then printed it out on the frosting sheets.  I then wrapped them around the cake and piped a green royal icing border.  Then I added the plain white fondant top cake and added a sugar flower to it.  It was quite a tricky cake, but I learned a lot and now want to experiment even more with this technique.

Hope you enjoyed the photos…thanks so much for taking a look!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “Recent Wedding & Birthday Cakes”

1. snookydoodle says:

wow they re amazing I love them all. Great job

2. Katie says:

Wow your cakes are awesome! I would have loved to see a finished photograph of the Mickey Mouse cake – I recognised what it was straight away and the detail is so amazing. You definitely have a lot of talent!

3. DLB says:

These are all fabulous! Of course the Mickey cake is adorable, and obviously a lot of work went into it. But my favourite is the last cake you posted… the edible frosting sheet really takes it up a notch!

4. Dana says:

The cakes are all awesome! But my favorite thing on this post is the beautiful ruffled platter. Where did you get it? It’s so pretty!

5. Tanya says:

All of these cakes are incredibly beautiful! I don’t know which one I love more. The edible frosting sheets are so cool. I would have so much fun with those printers.

6. Roxy says:

I absolutely love how beautiful the edible frosting cake turned out! The boxed Tiffany cake was very clean and elegant. Awesome work as always…Thanks so much for sharing with us.

7. kamaile says:

Your cakes are so beautiful! I love the colors on the wedding cake and the details you showed from the Mickey Mouse cake are incredible.

8. LittleChef says:

Your cakes, and all the piping work you do…= absolutely gorgeous!

9. Cookienurse says:

You make eveything look beautiful and so easy!

10. Tiffany says:

everything you do is always so simple and elegant. i love it! those flowers on the first cake were just too adorable (as well as the mickey cake), and that last cake–fantastic.

11. mrs k says:

Gorgeous but may I ask? How did you get the paper to stay put? I’ve been watching amazing wedding cakes on TV and wonder what they use to glue stuff onto the cake- I want to do a 3d mermaid for my daughter’s luau theme party but can’t figure out how to glue her (of course I have to make her way before hand)

12. LOVE the floral cake. Wow! Amazing :)

13. Mel the first cake is so gorgeous! So simple yet so elegant, the clor is stunning! The kid’s one is really a fun cake! But this last one is so unique! When I saw the picture I was so curious, it’s a great new way of decorating! I have yet to explore it!

14. doreen says:

The wedding cake is awesome! Nicely done! I can’t imagine how long it took to achieve that color!

15. Those are GREAT cakes!!

16. chefectomy says:

Such talent Melanie. The middle cake reminds me of claymation but you are probably to young to know what that is. The bottom one is simply too cool!

–Marc

17. pamela says:

Just stopping in to say that all of the cakes are so GORGEOUS. I love the Tiffany cake, and I’m very impressed with all of your hard work on the Mickey Mouse cake. You are so talented…and patient, too I’m sure. :o )

18. Ingrid says:

They came out great! That’s pretty cool that you printed out your frosting. How does that work exactly? Sorry, if I missed a post where you explained it all in depth.
    ~ingrid

19. Lisa says:

Amazing and beautiful as usual! I have a zillion delicious scrapbook papers I’d love to put on a cake! What a fun idea. How does it taste? What does it matter…looks fabulous. Love love love the tiffany cake. Wish I knew about you 11 years ago when I got married! Thanks for sharing!

20. Kim says:

You are just so talented and I love the idea of using edible paper to decorate cakes. As always you have such beautiful creations to inspire us all!

21. Dee says:

Wow, your blog is amazing! So many great ideas in just one post -the edible frosting sheets, for one. I love all your cakes, but I can’t get over the detailing in the Mickey one. I’m going to get myself a cup of coffee and browse through the rest of your posts. I’ll be back.

22. Maria says:

Of course I enjoyed the photos. They are absolutely amazing! I love the first cake. LOVE IT!! My niece would love the Mickey one. All of your creations are out of this world! Congrats on everything!

23. bobby says:

That blue square cake is crafted to perfection. Seriously, it looks flawless! Keep up the amazing work.

24. Aran says:

such beautiful cakes as always. hope you enjoyed florida and the class!

25. Emiline says:

Beautiful! You are an arteeest. The Mickey Mouse one looks like a lot of fun (not to make, of course).

26. Wow these all look beautiful love the detailed work on the Mickey mouse

27. Leslie says:

OMG..you are so very talented!

28. zenchef says:

Oh my! You’re so talented. You know.. you should be a pastry chef. :-) haha Kidding!
    The wedding cake is very beautiful.

29. Jenny says:

Ok, every time I visit here your work gets more and more beautiful. I LOVE all of them. I so wish I could take classes from you!

30. Laura says:

Your work is stunning.

31. Vera says:

Beautiful as always, Melody!

32. Mandy Sessler says:

Love, love, love them all! Amazing work!

33. Steph says:

Oh my goodness those cakes are gorgeous, I especially love the blue one. If I could do my wedding all over again, that is exactly what I would want!

34. Jude says:

The amount of detail is simply amazing. Things like this make my day :)

35. grace says:

i’m loving the mickey mouse cake. in my eyes, the mouse made of sugar is the only acceptable mouse. :)

36. i am in love with the blue and brown wedding cake. it is truly spectacular! i guess i need to come back to your classes and learn all about fondant – i’m so afraid!

37. linda says:

Love the colours and flowers of the wedding cake!
    And a great way to experiment with frosting sheets, very pretty!

38. Shari says:

All 3 cakes are fabulous! That first one is so elegant!

39. cakewardrobe says:

Pretty! You are too talented!

40. cakebrain says:

All your creations are so amazing! I am totally fascinated by your artistry and especially that scrapbook transfer technique you used. Neato!

41. mycookinghut says:

wow!! what an art!

42. diva says:

WHAT BEAUTIFUL CAKES..they’re just fantastic and so perfect. reckon i’ll hafta ship you into England in the future for my girlfriends’ weddings just cause I could never bake them a wedding cake as wonderful as yours. :) x

43. keeneye says:

Those edible frosting sheets are SO AMAZING!!!!! The ideas are endless for what you could use them for.

44. lk says:

I luv your cakes esp Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. How I wish I know to do it! Hehehe…!