Student Cake Designs

So as some of you might remember a while back I told you about the classes that I was going to teach at MiraCosta Community College in Oceanside.  Well, we are done with two out of the three modules and I thought that I would share some of my student’s work with you. Most of them came with little to no knowledge of fondant, gumpaste, royal icings, etc and just six classes later turned out stunning three tiered cakes.  Our first module was about the basics…filling, frosting, smoothing, and basic decorations.  My teaching style is to show students a variety of methods and techniques for decorating, but then let them use their creative minds to come with the design…of course I am there to help along the way, but I like them to let their inner cake artist come through.  My favorite part of the modules are the last class when you see the finished cake that the student never thought they would be able to accomplish…everyone surprises themselves!  So here are some photos from the first module…

Now onto the next module photos…wedding cakes/specialty cakes!  After just three more classes these are some of the cakes that they designed.  I was so excited to see their finished cakes and thought they did a great job!  The next module is one sculpted specialty cakes!

I just had to put a close up of these adorable fondant love birds!

So drop these ladies a comment and tell them which cake you loved!

Tags: , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Student Cake Designs”

1. Ann says:

They are all really great. Beautiful. All of them.

I really, really like the design of the cake with the light blue frosting lines on one side and what appears on my computer screen to be orange circles with light blue drawings on them. That designs would even make a great wallpaper or bookcover!

2. Susan says:

These are stunning. Either you have a very talented group of students, or you are some kind of amazing teacher…or both!
    Thanks for sharing!

3. Rebecca says:

You must be a fantastic teacher!! Of course, I’ve noticed that from the blog! The students did an INCREDIBLE job of decorating. You must be so proud!

4. Tanya says:

Wow! Your students really did an amazing job! Every single cake is just gorgeous. You must be an excellent instructor.

5. Cookienurse says:

Wow! they are all very nice!! I want to learn, too!

6. Lia says:

WOW! These are really impressive! I especially loved the square one with the “H” medallion. I think I may have to steal that design for my friend’s birthday next month!

7. You must be an awesome teacher, but your students are some talented ladies! Well done all! Gorgeous cakes!!!

8. They are all really great! My favorite is the last one:-)

9. Coby says:

Good gracious!! You and they should all be so proud and pleased as punch! Simply stunning. If I could create a cake like that – I’d get married!;)

10. Tiffany says:

the cakes look fantastic–you must be a proud teacher! :)

11. Aimee says:

Some model students you have here, Melody! I sure would love to sit on on a class or two! I can’t pick a favorite cake, but the orange flowered/green grass one has got it going ON!

12. Ingrid says:

Yes, I’m a hater! I wanna take your classes! Okay, done with the whining !

All of your students’ cakes came out fantastic! WOW! No faves here…. there is something I like about each one!
    ~ingrid

13. sharyl says:

oh wow! those cakes are amazing!!! i love all of them but my favorite would have to be the 3 tiered one in blue (aqua) and white. its my wedding color and man, i could’ve hired your student to do my wedding cake! they did an awesome job, which means you’re an awesome teacher!

14. linda says:

My favourite is the one with the poppy’s, wouldn’t mind that one for my wedding :)

15. Chris says:

ooh i love the poppy one, it’s so unique, but they’re all so gorgeous. The creamy white one with the flowers on top is spectacular – i can imagine that as a wedding cake, what did she use for that? royal icing?

16. Jessica says:

Wow, I wish I could take your class! They are all great, but my favorite would have to be the aqua three-tiered cake with white flowers. Just beautiful!

17. RecipeGirl says:

They’re all so pretty!

I loved the wrapped gift cake toward the top, and the pink wedding cake down below. Amazing creations!

18. Maria says:

The cakes are fantastic! They did such a great job! I like the white and the pink wedding cakes the best. They are all great though!

19. * tonya * says:

WOW! They are all so great. I need you to teach me how to do this.

20. They are all so much fun! Lovely.

21. Carimeli says:

These are from students?! Unbelievable talent!

22. Lindsey says:

I love all of these! And I’m sad I don’t live anywhere near you, otherwise I’d be signing up for a class!

23. Rachel says:

I can’t believe these cakes were done by beginners. I wish I was closer so I could take your classes.

To pick my favorite is difficult, but I love the single layer cake that is blue and has the flowers on the vines.

I also love the poppy wedding cake, I may even copy that design.

24. danica says:

Those cakes are great! :) They must have a great teacher… Really, I can’t believe that they were all done by students. I think you may have found some designers for your shop.

25. cakebrain says:

Fantastic cakes! I wish I could attend your classes! it looks like so much fun!

26. Kris says:

Loved them all. GREAT job ladies!

27. snookydoodle says:

WOW ALL THESE CAKES ARE AMAZING. WISH I COULD MAKE YOUR COURSE . PITY YOU RE SO FAR AWAY. THEY RE ALL GREAT CAKES .

28. Dana Huber says:

what creative students!!!!! what wonderful proof of how remarkable their teacher is too. someone can be great at making beautiful cakes, but can’t always communicate it well so that someone else can do it too! wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!! now if only i could take your course :)

29. DanaD says:

Huge thumbs up!!

I absolutely love the poppy cake – they are my birth flowers & absolute favorite flowers. I absolutely love the cake & may just have to make a smaller version!!

30. Emiline says:

All the cakes are beautiful! You’re such a good teacher.

31. morgana says:

AMAZING cakes. I wish I could make such a wonderful creations.

32. Katie says:

These are great! All of them! I can’t believe they’ve not had that much experience with fondant!

33. nina says:

Well done all of you …..teacher and students. This is amazing work. My favorite is the wedding cake with the poppies, it IS my favorite flower!

34. farida says:

I can’t stop looking at the cakes you make! They are all so beautiful. You must be proud of your talent!

35. Andrea L says:

Wow i love these cakes, you are a talented teacher, i can’t believe these are beginners cakes. Wow like props to you. My favorites are the first and second and last one. Give my congratulations to you and your students.

36. Shari says:

I think the students must be closet professional pastry chefs. I’m impressed. {They must have an amazing teacher.}

37. Vera says:

It’s hard to name only one! They all look beautiful, Melody1

38. Oh Melody, you – as a teacher – make fantastic job! I really wish I would live close to you to get the opportunity to follow your courses too. I just love the work of your students! Great job!

39. Wow, those are somebeautiful cakes! Just amazing!!!!

40. Bunny says:

All these cakes are so beautiful! I am so jealous!! LOL I wish I could do this!

41. julia says:

Oh how I wish I could take one of your classes. Although I am making progress by teaching myself, I have so many questions! Have you ever thought about making a DVD? I’d buy one! Or maybe you could have a weekend class?

Such lucky, lucky students!! Gorgeous work. They have such bright futures!

42. Aran says:

that’s great melody. i bet people love your classes!

43. Psychgrad says:

Wow – very impressive. I would love to take one of your classes. I really like the 3-tiered cake with the asymmetrical flowers. But really, they’re all impressive. What a great teacher you are.

Sorry if this comment appears twice – computer acting up.