Cakes & Cupcakes

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments about the Christmas cupcakes!  I love hearing from all of you! Well, work has been busy and I actually have a lot of random orders that I wanted to share with you…so here they are!  The first two cakes are ones that my friend Hannah and I designed for the holiday season. We thought we would go a little more modern with the designs.

This next order was for a Minnie Mouse Cupcake Cake.  I hadn’t ever done one of these types of cakes before and found it to be a little tricky.  I tried just using buttercream to make Minnie’s face, but didn’t like how it was turning out, so I decided to use fondant instead…overall I was pretty happy with it, but would definitely do some things different next time.

A couple weeks ago I had a cupcake order for an anniversary party.  The colors were lime green, gold, and brown…this is what I came up with!

And lastly, this next cake design my friend Hannah & Nadia collaborated on with me.  We wanted to do a modern tree and bird cake.

Thanks for taking a look!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Cakes & Cupcakes”

1. snookydoodle says:

These are all great. Especially the minnie mouse cake. You were quite busy eh :) what do you use to make gold fondant ??

2. Laura says:

these are so beautiful!

3. Amber says:

Yum! Look at that last cake! It’s like a work of art. I would totally hang it on my wall if it was a painting … you girls are awesome…. Opening up shop in Chicago any time soon? I’ll be your first customer.

4. christy says:

Oooh, they’re all so pretty. You do such a great job. Your blog is one of my faves!

5. mrs k says:

be careful with that minnie design- i hear disney has disney police and they shut you down ’cause you’re not allowed to ‘sell’ anything with their designs…i think anyways- either way- everything is gorgeous as usual. My minicakes were a hit. I posted some pics- I thought they were hideous but they were gone in like a millisecond. The girls loved them. Next year I think I will go more with fondant design instead of fondant and buttercream. I wanted more dainty, less…I don’t know…less of what came out :) I do love your last design with the tree.

6. i am in love with the modern tree/bird cake – very cool!

i’ve always wondered how to do one of the “cupcake cakes”…

7. BK Shopper says:

First of all–I love your creativity! These deserts look just amazing. Needless to say I was blown away by your Christmas Cupcakes too! How much time goes into making some of your creations?

8. Bunny says:

Yes you’ve been busy! The new cake designs were very pretty, good collaborative job!

9. sugared says:

LOVE the silver cake and MInnnie the bestest! But they are all great! You are one busy lady; you make me tired! LOL

10. Wow, you have been busy, Beautiful work!

11. Kris says:

Beautiful, fun and different!!! Oh and festive too!

12. Carrie says:

I need to know what icing you make for the cupcakes so that you can just pipe it on and make it pretty like you do. (Like the chocolate one’s from above for the anniversary.) I just piped one my cupcakes yesterday icing out of a container that I got at Walmart and it was fast but not as pretty as yours. Thanks so much!

13. Cassi says:

I love love LOVE the first cake! How did you create the sandy snow look up top? That last cake looks like it took forever to make! Very impressive.

14. Landa says:

Wow! Youve been busy. You did such a wonderful job.

15. dlb says:

the last cake is sooo cool and really creative. i love the shapes and think the colours are awesome.
    the cupcake cake looks great! i’m glad that it worked out.

16. so lovely design you had there, just simple and beautiful!

17. RecipeGirl says:

I’m always so amazed by your creations. Just lovely.

18. Hi Mel! I love the first cake with the cardinal in the birch trees. Just yesterday I had a big, beautiful cardinal on the fence in my back yard. Your cake is perfect for the NorthEast! Lovely work! Best!

19. Stephanie says:

OH MY GOSH! I LOOOOOOOVE THESE! I love modern looking cakes – the branches, the birds… it’s all wondeful! I am so stealing some of these ideas! You are so wonderful :)

20. Clena says:

I realy love your cupcakes and cakes.

21. Wow! The last cake is very mid-century modern. Fabulous! Do you color your own fondant or do you buy different colors? You work is always very consistent. I absolutely love your page (I hope you don’t mind that I linked to you)!

22. I am absolutely in love with the first 2 cakes. I wish I had a reason to order them right now. I kind of wouldn’t want to eat them though because they are so darn cute. And I gotta say, it is hard to make Disney characters look exactly right…not copied. You did Minnie perfect! It looks like you screen printed her face. I can’t believe how right-on it is. I am also in love with that last cake. AMAZING. Did you design the whole tree idea? It is quite creative! Great work!!!

23. danica says:

Love the cake! :) You are such a creative person. Great job!

24. Kenneth says:

I’m always blown-away by your work! You’re awesome!

25. cakebrain says:

Nice job with the Minnie Mouse cake! Any little girl would love it! Your cakes look so innovative and modern!

26. Bridget says:

Oh, I love the one with the cardinals!

27. dessert girl says:

I love the three cakes with birds and trees! They are all so cute!