Ron Ben-Israel Class at CalJava

So sorry for the lack of posts, but life has been quite crazy lately.  Besides the fact that I am currently sitting on my couch in miserable pain from strep throat (which added to the lack of posts), last week I had the pleasure of taking a 3-day class from Ron Ben-Israel at Caljava International School here in California.  I only take one or two of these types of classes per year since they are quite costly and so when I heard that Ron Ben-Israel, one of New York’s top cake artists, was teaching I knew I had to go.  So thankfully my mom and dad gave me half the money for the class for my Christmas present and I was able to come up with the rest.  You should definitely check out this schools website…they have top-notch teachers like Bronwen Weber, Kerry Vincent, and Colette Peters, among many others. Students come from all over the world to take these classes and they are clearly worth it.

This particular class by Ron Ben-Israel focused on learning how to do different types of sugar bows, sweet pea sugar flowers, and working with a monochromatic color scheme.  I will be posting throughout the week on this class, but this first post is going to show the beginning stages of the sweet pea sugar flowers and how we prepared for designing our cake.

We first had to randomly pick our color that we could do our cake in…I got yellow, which I was pretty happy about.  Ron went over how he makes his own sugar paste and how he stores and wraps it so it stays fresh.

Then we looked at some of the previous cakes that Ron had made that incorporated his sugar bows and tried to come up with a design for our cake.

I actually came up with two different cake designs, but in the end I really didn’t stick to either of them completely.  But here is my picture of my original idea for my cake…

Well, onto the sweet pea sugar flowers!  Ron came up with his own design for a sweet pea sugar flower cutter and that is what we used.  I believe that you can buy them at Caljava, but I am not certain.  He said he still might want to make some adjustments to the cutters in the future, but one great thing about this is that you just have to use one cutter for the whole flower.  I am going to show you the step by step photos of me making the sugar flowers, but of course they will not explain completely how to make them and to give instructions online would be quite tedious, so if you want to learn how to make sugar flowers I would recommend either taking a class, buying a DVD on sugar flowers, or buying a sugar flower book.  I hope you enjoy the eye candy though! Sadly most of the photos from this class had to be taken down due to complaints about giving away too much information.

Those were some photos from Ron’s demonstration, but here are my photos from making them myself.

**Photos had to be taken down…sorry

Once the flowers are done you hang them upside down so they will dry properly.  After they dried we colored them with petal dust…but I will save those photos for another post!

Hope you enjoyed the photos and make sure and check out Caljava’s and Ron Ben-Israel’s websites!

Tags: , , , ,

28 Responses to “Ron Ben-Israel Class at CalJava”

1. Casey says:

My girlfriends and I would love to take one of your classes. We live in South O.C. Can you send me your schedule?

2. Amazing! You should have seen my face as I read through this. I am in awe that the bows are all out of sugar and that flower making is…wow…

3. Maria says:

I hope you start feeling better soon! What a class! Lucky you!!

4. Bunny says:

I hope you feel better soon, I’m just getting over a horrible cold that just won’t leave! I’m glad you could take the class!

5. Aimee says:

My mouth is hanging open-just like those flowers. Please show us the rest soon!!

Get well-

6. nina says:

Patience is clearly one of your best qualities…..welll done and I cannot wait for the end result….

7. Emily says:

I’d be scared to get up there and take pictures of him and his work, cause he’s so famous and all. I’d be intimidated. Way to go!

I wonder if he sits in his chair at home like that? Seems uncomfortable but who am I to judge.

8. wow, very cool, no wonder you were so excited! Hope you feel better.

9. Rachel says:

Wow, that looks like a lot of work, but I bet the flowers were beautiful. I would love to take one of his classes, but I think I need to get a couple years experience under my belt first.

Are you a member of ICES and if so do you go to the convention?

10. Nicisme says:

Wow, that is so interesting! Thank you for sharing.
    Hope you get well soon.

11. OMG those cakes are amzing! I can’t wait to see your finished product! I beat you learned so much!

12. I’m just getting over strep myself, so I completely understand your pain!
    Those flowers are amazing! Can’t wait to see more.
    And you’re not joking about the price of that class! Yowza!

13. cakebrain says:

geez! that looks like a fun class! wish I could do something like that!

14. Angela says:

Hi Melody hope you are feeling better. I love those flowers, sweet peas are one of my favourites and I had never seen them made in sugar before.

15. morgana says:

Wow!!!! What a beutiful beautiful beautiful and perfect cake… Well, I mean cakes. All of them are gorgeous.

16. Jenny says:

How exciting to take that cake class. It looks like it was a huge success. Hope you get to feeling better!

17. Aran says:

what a great opportunity. he is such a master!

18. Dana says:

What an awesome class! I’m trying to find something in Tampa, FL, but only end up finding the Wilton classes. I even went to a cake decorating class at a gourmet kitchen shop & demo kitchen thinking it would be inspired – nope, Wilton. At least wine was included! If you know of any schools in FL, I would love the info! Thanks!!

19. Kathia says:

Hi Melody, I love your flowers. I know the classes are expensive, I am just an amateur and I took a 3 day class with Collete Peters in New York, class was so expensiveeeeeeeee, but it was well worth it. Can you put instructions , if you have time and feell better in the future to make some of those flowers?? Do you know where can we buy the tools or molds that you used? I hope you feel better

20. meg says:

What an amazing class. Thanks for sharing the pics. Hope you are feeling better.

21. Hi i wantede to aqsk you a question if you don t mind. I wish to make a red rose from white chocolate ganache what is the best food colouring to use to achieve a deep red.

22. Mordechai says:

Sugar Flowers class with Ron Ben-Israel in Savannah, GA
    March 6,7,8 2009-Ron Ben-Israel-SOLD OUT
    March 10, 11, & 12, 2009

We are thrilled that Ron has agreed to stay over and hold a second class session at Custom Cakes! For those of you who want to learn sugarpaste for the best, here’s you chance. Ron will be teaching Roses in all stages of bloom , peony in all stages of bloom, calla lilies, cattleya orchids, and sweetpeas. If you would like to register, please let us know, and we’ll be glad to send you a registration form

Date: March 10, 11,12 2009

Cost: $850

Contact Maureen at 912-356-0072 or send us an email.

23. Mordechai says:

March 6,7,8 2009-Ron Ben-Israel-SOLD OUT
    March 10, 11, & 12, 2009

Date: March 10, 11,12 2009

Cost: $850

Contact Maureen at 912-356-0072 or send us an email.

24. RecipeGirl says:

Wow, I loved seeing the process of how those were made. Neat!

25. admin says:

Rachel – No I am not a member of ICES yet, but think I will become one later this year since I do want to go to their upcoming conventions.
    Kathia – Thanks so much for the comment…unfortunately I can’t give out all the details for the class since other people paid to go to the class too…wish I could give out all the info, but other people get mad =(

26. Colleen says:

Wow! I look forward to taking a class from him someday! Your work was fabulous!

27. Juliet says:

You are so talented and your cakes are gorgeous. I wish I could take a class form Ron Ben Israel. I live in NY but can’t afford too.

Thanks for sharing

28. ZINAIDA ALBARYAN says:

I’m inbusiness about 19 years. I’d like to take class.