Ron Ben-Israel Part 2 Plus My Blog Anniversary

First off I want to say thank you for a wonderful year of blogging.  Last week marked the one year anniversary of my little blog and I couldn’t be more amazed at how this last year went.  It was such an amazingly fun ride and I thank everyone who was a part of it.  I have enjoyed sharing my pastry journey with all of you so much and look forward to this next year!  I actually have quite the big news to announce soon, but I have to keep you waiting just a little bit longer…hopefully next week I can make the announcement!

Well, enough about that…lets get to the last part of my wonderful Ron Ben-Israel class that I took.  I wanted to document every step of the class for you with my trusty camera (and I did), but unfortunately I have had complaints about posting too many images from the class and giving away too many details, so I had to refrain from putting on a lot of the photos that I had taken, since I don’t want to deal with any angry people.  Hopefully you will enjoy these photos though!

First off is the finished sweet pea flowers.  After the flowers had dried over night we colored them with petal dust to make the flower look more realistic.  This definitely brings out the inner artist in you and ends up being a lot of fun.

Then we made tendrils and wrapped our flowers in floral tape to make bouquets.

Here was some of Ron’s sugar flowers and the cake that he and his assistant did for demo purposes.

And here are some photos of my bow-making process…I actually ended up doing the bow again that I am showing the pictures of since I wanted to get it even thinner and life-like, but at least you can see my process.  The first photo is the impression mat that I pushed into the sugar paste to make the ridges…this gave it the appearance of a gross-grain ribbon.

Here are some photos of the ribbon making process for around the sides of the cake.  Using a metal ruler is a nice tool to have around to get crisp, even edges.

So as you can see I definitely veered away from my original sketch, but I wanted to incorporate all the techniques he was teaching and also keep a clean, modern look to the cake.  I actually think I am still going to change some aspects of the cake and add a little more detail to the top and bottom tiers, but since I didn’t have time in class here to do all my design ideas here are photos of the finished cake for now and when I add more details I will post the finished product.

Thanks be to Ron for such a wonderful class!  I had an amazing time and learned so much!

Tags: , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Ron Ben-Israel Part 2 Plus My Blog Anniversary”

1. Sam says:

Wow that looks great! One day you’ll be teaching that class :)

2. Girl Japan says:

You are so lucky to be able to have the opportunity… This looks absolutely fabulous!

3. nina says:

I am so envious…the cake you made is so beautiful!!

4. Laura says:

Wow that looks amazing! Happy blogiversary!

5. Kathy S. says:

I really like your final cake, Melody! Very elegant! Where do you find the different mats and impression tools you used to make the lines and dots? Looking forward to the exciting news you have to share!!! :o)

6. Congrats on your anniversary and beautiful cake. I have been a faithful reader for some time now, and always love your posts/pictures. I would so love to have your skills.

7. Amy says:

Happy Blog-iversary!!!!!

Those flowers are amazing! The cake looks awesome!

8. wohoo! Wow! You go girl!!! :)

9. Oh! I think your cake is just lovely! I love the clean design, and that bow is just so sweet! You did a fantastic job!
    Happy Blogiversary! I look forward to your announcement… :-)

10. ingrid says:

Can’t wait to hear what your big news is…don’t keep us waiting to long.

Thanks for passing along all the helpful info.
    Happy Blogiversary!
    ~ingrid

11. Love the cake, especially the gorgeous flowers. What a cool, cool experience for you. Thanks for sharing!

12. kamaile says:

Happy Blogiversary! You create beautiful things. Your cake from Ron’s class is awesome!

13. I allways love when you share your classes! Your cake turned out truly gorgeous and congratulations for 1 year of blogging!

14. danica says:

These cakes are amazing and you are such a good student! Your cake looks amazing too! :) Glad you got the chance to take that class and I can’t wait for your announcement… but I think I know what it is :)

15. snookydoodle says:

Gorgeous!!! Nice cake and photos! Thanks for answering to my query :) This post was really intersting .

16. sugared says:

stunning cake! Bravo!

17. Gigi says:

Beautiful cake! Happy Blogoversary! :)

18. Emily says:

Happy Blogiversary! When are we going to see you on a Food Network cake chalenge?

Your cakes keep getting better and better. This one is striking.

I saw that Ron teaches at FCI in New York City. Wouldn’t that be cool to attend pastry school there??

19. Maria says:

Happy One Year. I can’t wait to hear your news!!
    What a fun class!! You are super talented!! Glad you enjoyed yourself!

20. Kyla says:

Oh man, I’m so jealous! That looks like a fabulous class!

Btw, are you coming to our show this year? You should be entering a cake!

p,s. Colette Peters has asked to be in our 2010 show! Wheeee!

21. Erika says:

Beautiful cake! I would love to be able to make realistic looking flowers, yours are gorgeous!

22. Bunny says:

First happy Blog Anniversary! Such lovely intricate work for the flowers!! Just beautiful!! And the ribon was a very nice addition to the cake!

23. Jana says:

Dear Melody, your cake is just perfect! I love the clean and modern look of it and the flowers on the top – just lovely! Don’t worry about your bow, I wish I could make a bow like yours.

24. Jennifer says:

Beautiful cake, like always !!

When you do these are these real cakes or do use use ‘dummy’ cakes?

25. Aran says:

happy blog anniversary and here is to many more!