Mermaid Barbie Birthday Cake

Children’s birthday parties are like no other event I do…the reaction they give is priceless and they make me love the job I have even more.  This little girl in particular really wanted a mermaid cake, but she let her mom know that the mermaid NEEDED to be a barbie doll.  She knew exactly what she wanted and her sweet mother made her wish come true….I was just glad I could help them out!

The cake tiers were buttermilk cake with lemon cream and fresh raspberries and buttermilk cake with chocolate ganache, fresh strawberries, and white chocolate ganache.  I then buttercreamed both tiers and covered them in colored fondant

The next job was to cover barbie’s you-know-what with cute little shells.  I never thought I would be making a shell bra for barbie when I got into this business!

I then made some gray rocks for barbie to sit around and plunged her into the sea of cake.  I know that you can buy barbies that only have the top half of their body for cakes, but since I had this new barbie already and she matched the blonde hair and blue eyes I needed I just used her.   I did have to give her some nubs and cut her legs off below the knee, but thankfully I was smart enough to tell the mother not to pull Barbie out in front of the kids since I didn’t want them to experience a decapitated barbie!

I made her a green fondant tale and used the sharp part of a round cookie cutter to make the grooves in her tale.

Then to finish off the cake I made little sea life creatures and plants to make it more interesting.  To make the cake shimmer I used my airbrush gun to spray pearl luster dust on the whole cake.  For the sand I mixed together brown sugar, short bread crumbs, and demerara sugar crystals.

Here are some photos of the cake when I dropped it off and the adorable little girl who got to have it!

This was such a fun cake to make and the family I brought it to couldn’t have been sweeter!

Well, I couldn’t leave you without showing you some more photos of the process of my dessert studio, so here they are!  This one is me in my very own soon-to-be office.  It is small, but at least it is all mine!

The middle wall has has been constructed, the plumbing in the kitchen finished, the cement poured, and the electrical passed!  This happened all in a week and a half…isn’t my dad AMAZING!  Thanks to my uncle too for the electrical!

Now onto gutting and re-doing the bathroom…you can do it dad!

And lastly here is the hubby and I one night when we came to check out the work that had been done…boy are we excited!!!

Tags: , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Mermaid Barbie Birthday Cake”

1. Emily says:

Yay! It’s all coming along nicely.

That cake is HAWT. And the mermaid looks smokin’ hawt also.

2. You are so creative. The cake is gorgeous – any little girl would be thrilled to have that. Congrats on the new workspace too.

3. dlb says:

The cake looks super! I love the sea life stuff you did – very nice.
    It’s good to see that your bakery is moving along… you must be very excited!

4. snookydoodle says:

What a nice cake :) so cute. Good luck with the works :)

5. Beautiful Cake! Nice work!!

6. Christine says:

That cake is amazing! Most barbie cakes look really cheesy, but yours is great!

Glad to hear that your bakery is coming along nicely!

7. What an adorable cake! Great job!

8. Katie says:

Yea! This looks so beautiful! You are really talented!

9. Cherie says:

Sooooo cute!!!! My little girls want one of yor cakes!!! Great job!!!

10. doreen says:

Love love love the cake! The studio is coming along nicely! When will the website be up?

11. Wow! That cake is amazing! You are going to be so successful with your new dessert shop. Can’t wait!

12. Kris says:

Melody,
    I adore that cake. I want to make one!!!
    Your new place is coming along nicely. When is your projected grand opening?

13. so pretty..makes me wish I was the lucky little girl to receive this cake!

14. Leslie says:

Adorable cake!!!! Reminds me of my Sleeping Beauty Cake I attempted http://thehungryhousewife.blogspot.com/2008/06/sleeping-beauty-birthday-cake.html
    Your shop is moving right along!

15. Prudence says:

TOO cute! Great job as usual!!! BTW: I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for you!!! Yeah, shop!!

16. sheilah says:

A new spin on an old classic, Barbie that is! Good job! The studio is really exciting! You so deserve it! I can hardly wait!

17. sharilyn says:

LOVE the pearl lustre finish and LOVE those little pink sponges!!!! :) so very cute! (how long did this cake take you ??)

18. Shelly says:

That cake is gorgeous! Good luck with your shop!

19. Dana says:

Picture #2 – How do you get the fondant so smooth? & not a drop of icing poking out on the cardboard! I think I might be using too much frosting, because as soon as I smooth the fondant on, I get frosting coming out the bottom.

20. ingrid says:

The cake turned out amazing! Great job!

Good luck with everything…….can’t wait to see and hear about it when it’s all completed!
    ~ingrid

21. Lovely cake!! Oh my God you guys still have a lot of work ahead. I thought that when you rent space the owners provide everything for you. Good luck and don’t forget to send and invite to your fellow bloggers for the inaguration day.

22. Chic Runner says:

LOVE the cake, looks like barbie got a little glittery spray tan! :) Can’t wait for your shop to be open, it’s going to be the cutest, I know it! Can’t wait to see it and perhaps have some delicious treats from there!

23. Mindy says:

Amazing cake! I’m seriously impressed!

24. Vi says:

This is a dream cake for all the girls! Very pretty!

25. Lorelei says:

Man, wish you could make me a mermaid cake! Looks amazing.

26. Kim says:

LOVE that cake!! It is a goal of mine to make one like that and I love it!!!

Great Job, you do beautiful work!

27. Irene says:

What a beautiful cake! Good luck on the shop, I can feel your excitement!

28. Saucy says:

I use a “real” Barbie doll for that type of cake, too… the ones made for cakes aren’t as cute-looking. The mermaid cake was lovely! I just had to comment, everything is delicious around here.

29. Eftychia says:

What a beautiful birthday cake!! I am sure my daughters will be thrilled with it. I think this is the cake I am going to make for their birthday. Thank you so much for the detailed photos. :-)

30. Tammi says:

Love the mermaid cake. I have a client that wants me to make her daughter one.

Your step by step was beautifully done.

Tammi

31. june camp says:

i love this cake and want to try and make one please what size cakes did you use. good luck.

32. Sian Glynn says:

Hi could you email me the ingredients and method for the cakes please
    It was the mermaid birthday cake