Communion Cake

Well, I am sticking to my word and posting for the third time this week…I know…it really can’t be true, but by golly I did it!  (I might even try for four posts…I don’t want to get ahead of myself though).  This cake was requested by a client of mine for their little boy’s first communion.  I sent them a bunch of inspirational photos of cakes that I liked and they fell in love with a design from the Pink Cake Box. Normally I always try to do original designs for the most part, but I also loved their cake design and so I went with the basic look, but added my own little Sweet & Saucy touch to it.  Overall I was really happy with how it turned out and I wanted to share a couple details of it with you!

The color scheme was shades of brown, light gold/tan, and white so we decided to color the fondant a light brown shade.  The cake was buttermilk cake with lemon cream and fresh raspberries and chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and espresso kahlua cream cheese frosting.

Then I printed the message on edible frosting sheets and applied it to a thin piece of fondant.  Then I applied it to the cake.  To add a little extra detail I piped on white royal icing dots for the border.

The main detail of the cake was the Bible and rosary necklace.  I made the Bible out of carrot cake and iced it with a thin layer of buttercream and then added a strip of fondant for the “pages”.  I used a scoring tool to make the page marks.

I then added the “cover” of fondant to the Bible.  I again used the edible frosting sheets for the print out of “Holy Bible”.  I placed it on a piece of light brown fondant and used a scoring tool to make the etching pattern and royal icing for the mini dots.

I then made the edible sugar necklace and attached a tiny cross to the bottom of it.  I laid it on top of the Bible and let it fall down the cake slightly.  To add a little more detail to the cake I used small round circle cutters to add some dots around the tiers and then piped royal icing dots.  Lastly I sprayed the whole cake with luster dust and viola…it was done!

Now I couldn’t leave without sharing some recent photos of the dessert studio.  The hubby and I stopped by today to check out the paint job and I was in the “posing” mood so I grabbed the camera and gave it to him so he could take photos of me modeling my recent kitchen improvements!

The walls all were painted…everything white, except for in my office I wanted 3 out of the four walls painted grey.  The color scheme in there is grey, yellow, and white.

Here are some more shots inside the bakery part of it.

The flooring gets done tomorrow!  I am going with the polished concrete look…think modern, vintage-like!

And last, but not least is a photo of my amazing assistant!  I wanted to introduce her to you and publicly thank her for making my life SO much easier!  You’re the best Louisa!

Thanks for stopping by the blog!  Hope you have a fabulous week!

Tags: , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Communion Cake”

1. Your cake looks gorgeous!! Great job.
    And congratulations on the major progress of the bakery. What is that humongous metal thing you’re standing in front of?

2. Christine says:

Nice cake – but why wouldn’t it be, you made it!

I’m glad that your bakery is making progress! It’ll be neat to see the finished product!

3. hey – great shirt! :)

4. chelsea a says:

i LOVE your office color! Do you remember the brand and name? I am really really tempted to paint my house in that color now. Seriously!

5. Janet says:

Wow, awesome! Love the color combos!

6. Eileen says:

It’s starting to get exciting now that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You’re going to be in your new shop before you know it. YEAH!

7. Gret says:

I like the bottle of Vodka in the background in the pic of the Communion cake! Is that Stoli- ha ha just thought that was funny… the cake is lovely and so glad your place is coming together!

8. ingrid says:

Hi, Louisa!
    ~ingrid

9. By Golly, that cake is gorgeous! And aren’t you and Louisa cute as buttons? :)

10. admin says:

Gret you are completely cracking me up with the vodka comment! Just to let the secret out vodka is a cake person’s best friend since you can use it to rub off any color marks off of cake and it is also mixed with luster dust to spray a shimmer coat on cakes!

11. Michelle says:

Awesome cake! I love the step by step photos. Your place is looking great, I bet you’re so excited!

12. Mara says:

I am so excited while I am following your adventure. To hopefully one day make it to where you are on my own. But for now I will live through your dreams and inspirations. Thanks for the fabulous pictures and exciting adventure you have allowed us to follow on. Your work is amazing!

13. Anne Heap says:

Congratulations on the new bakery! I’m sure you’ll do fantastic in the new location. Reminds me of the excitement we felt building our bakery…

Great cake by the way! :)

14. Sarah says:

the bakery looks great. it really is coming a long quickly. what an exciting time for you!

15. Lisa says:

Looks great, but your bible is missing the 3 strips that make it look like it has a bottom cover…you can see an example here: http*://*thefrostedcakencookie.*blogspot.*com/2009/05/*graduation-cake.*html

Remove astericks, of course.

16. Kathia says:

Everything is looking gorgeous!! The cake has you special touch!!

17. Kathia says:

IMPORTANT: By the way ..it doesn’t matter if the book is missing 3 strips, THE CAKE LOOKS GREAT! I bet many of us make mistakes right? Or many of us wish we can make a cake like that? Anne Heap from Pink Cake Box left a comment herself and didn’t even mentioned it !!

18. chelsea a says:

Melody, I keep coming back to look at your beautiful cakes (from your last post!) and can’t help but stop everytime and gaze longingly at your new office.

I’m totally serious about the wall color, do you know what the color is? Please please puh-lease(!) share!

chelsealexander@hotmail.com

I’ll love you forever.

Chelsea

19. Gret says:

Never knew that- thanks for the vodka info. Again your cakes are great!

20. Leslie says:

I love you attention to detail!

21. Amy says:

I am excited to see you tomorrow! Ok so I just have to ask….is there any tiny chance at all that I might see an appearance of your cake lollipops tomorrow? I swear I can’t get those out of my head ever since you posted them!! I heard a rumor there is going to be some desserts at this wedding….hahaha. If not I am going to order some from you just cuz :)

22. Emily says:

Hi Louisa!

GORGEOUS, exquisite work. What a fine job you do! The shop is coming along nicely. Can’t wait.

23. Bakery is starting to look goooooooood! Cute cake too!

24. Stacy says:

Beautiful cake, awesome bakery, absolutely adorable shoes!!

25. Aimee says:

We’re really seeing progress on the place, Melody!

Hi Louisa, be good to Melody now, OK?

26. Marie says:

Oh Boy, I do not like leaving posts like this! Melody – AMAZING job on the cake! Your work is so so beautiful & I am so excited for your bakery!! Looking to open mine by August!

Now for the meanie-mo part.

Lisa – why would you leave a comment like that? The work of edible art is amazing. Are you a cake designer? Could you have made this better? I say just comment positively or don’t comment at all. These cakes take hard work, dedication and a lot of time. Please think about that the next time you want to post something negative about someone’s work.

Melody, we love you work – keep showing us your beautiful creations! We got your back girl! :)

27. Kim says:

Love the communion cake and your bakery. So much fun, I bet you can’t wait! I have been so behind, your 3x a week is an inspiration.

28. Irene says:

Lovely work, as always! I am so excited for your studio!

29. Ashley Rose says:

Seriously such beautiful cakes!!!! I love them ;) what is up with the meanie?! ugh, pay no attention to people who project that negativity! they are jealous of your amazing talents =)
    hmm, if only i had a reason to get a cake! i am working on trying to get the hubs on board for a 2nd wedding, lol, yeah that will never happen! haha.

30. AmyRuth says:

Congratulatoins on a dream come true!!! So amazing. Hope all that you spend comes right back to you 10 fold. Its fun though huh. Love the cake photos. Also your new site is way impressive and what a great partnership with your photograper friend. Keep up the good work
    AmyRuth

31. sonia waldman says:

are your cupcakes jumbo size muffin pan? and the mini ones are they the standard size muffin pan??????

I will love for you to let me know what size pan you use

Thank you very much for taking the time to check this

Best,