Cake Tutorial…Plus Extra Designs!

I am writing today a very excited person because all of my equipment has finally arrived for the dessert studio!  We are in the final stage of everything and hope to open by the end of the month!!!  I even got to meet with some clients in my new office this past weekend…it was SO much better than meeting up in a coffee shop! I will definitely be taking some more photos of the studio and post them up soon, but for now I wanted to share a fun cake decorating technique with you!  I originally saw this design on another cake and loved the look of it, so I thought I would try it out.  I came up with this easy method to get the lines even…I mean it has probably been done before, but I never saw a tutorial on it, so here it is for your viewing pleasure!

IMG_0816.JPG

First I recommend either using royal icing or swiss/italian meringue buttercream for this…I used swiss meringue buttercream. The first step is to get your cake a nice smooth finish and chill it slightly.  Then use a circle cookie cutter to make a mark in the center of the cake and repeat until the whole row is done. Continue making rows until the tier is covered.   You can pick any size circle you want, but I think I did around 1″. Then pipe along the circles.  Chilling for 10-15 min after this point will help with the rest of the marking, so that the buttercream circles won’t be pulled off.

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

Then take the circle cutter and mark it in the center of the intersecting cirlces…see photo below!  As you can see my circles aren’t perfect, but when you are done with the pattern you can’t tell at all!

IMG_0806.JPG

Then pipe the next circles and pipe dots where the lines intersect.

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

For this cake I simply decorated it will a small bouquet of white tulips and put it on a cute stand!

IMG_0820.JPG

Hope this tutorial helps you to try this new technique!  I also wanted to share some other orders that I have done recently.  To start is the mini cupcakes, cake lollipops, and lingerie cookies that I did for Playboy Playmate Kendra Wilkinson’s Spa Party in LA.  I wish I had more photos of the event, but here are a couple Louisa took for me!  Nicole from Cobalt Events did a great job with all of their pre-wedding and wedding details!

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

Best wishes to Kendra and her new hubby, Hank Baskett!  This next cake was for a client who wanted to incorporate her friend’s fish tattoo and love of margaritas into one fun cake for her birthday.  We also make cookies to go with it.  We actually had real margarita glass on top of the cake with edible liquid gel and a lime, but sadly it didn’t fit in the photo.

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

Lastly I had the pleasure of doing a cake for a friend of mine’s recent wedding!  She was a stunning bride and just wanted a simply cake that matched her invitations and love of daisies!  Sara created this gorgeous sugar flower daisy and it was the perfect addition to the cake!

572940140_yYaAK-M

572942585_M2CZg-M

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Cake Tutorial…Plus Extra Designs!”

1. Tiffany says:

Thank you for posting the cake tutorial! I’ve been watching for it, I just love the design. I like how, when you look at it one way you see the interlocking circles, but when you look at it another way it looks like flower petals (it’s easier to see in the picture of the cake topper, looking down the side of the cake). I’m guessing, since you used a 1 in circle and there are 3 rows, the cake is 3 inches tall?

2. Lotte says:

Wow, thank you so much for the tutorial! It´s so easy, when you once get to it *gg

And the other cakes, cookies, cupcakes etc are wonderful. I get hungry now!

Love to see more pictures of your studio!
    ´til then…

3. It’s so exciting that you’re already oppening this month! It’s gonna be such a sucess, we’re all cheering for you! Gorgeous cakes!!!

4. All your desserts look tasty, wish I live there so I can come see the new shop!

5. Rachel says:

I like the new site design!

Thanks for the tutorial, I have seen that style cake before but wasn’t certain how to do the design.

The last cake you did was my favorite for the week.

6. Jenny says:

Wow, that isnt as hard as it looks! Thanks so much for sharing, I’ll definitely give it a try! I’m just learning a bit of piping recently since they do a lot of it at my work experience. I’ve managed to avoid it up till now! It seems a lot harder with the buttercream they use, I wish it was royal icing or meringue buttercream!

Thanks so much for sharing and its great to see the progress of your new studio and the lovely cakes!

7. Nice cakes. you make everything look so easy , I bet id I make it myself it will be a mess.

8. Thanks so much for posting the tutorials! I hope to see more of this sort :) The pictures look awesome! I lovee the last cake, so simple, yet sooo elegant :)

9. bakingmomma says:

That tutorial is awesome and something I have to try.
    Your work is beautiful!
    Keep up the great work. You are full of such great talent.

10. Kathia says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial, it seems easy, I will have to try it. I can’t wait to see pics from the dessert studio. Are you having an opening little party?

11. LOVE LOVE LOVE the cake tips!! Totally going to try it,, ha love amateur hour (me) attempting what looks so easy from the pro (you) hehe… cant wait to visit the new shop and Hooolllaaaaaaa back at your playboy party treats for Kendras party… Big TIME!!!! Congrats!

12. franci says:

Each and any of your works is a piece of real art! Next summer im so flying to California, and taking some classes at your shop :) (hopefully you’ll have classes in the summer :)

13. Loved reading through the tutorial! You make it look and sound so easy – even for the baking-inept like me! And all your recent creations are so beautiful. Love them!!

14. Nicole says:

What kind of frosting do you use to make those awesome white spirals? You are amazing…so wish I lived closer.

15. Nicole says:

To clarify…on the cupcakes. The fluffy white frosting…I can’t make mine look like that. :(

16. Rachael says:

Thanks for the tutorial Melody, I have been trying to figure out how you did that! I gave it a shot yesterday on a cake, a little smaller then the one you did and it turned out super cute! Thanks so much for breaking it down like you did!!! I LOVE the birthday cake you did….so colorful and fun, love the limes!

17. AMAZING cake! I love it…the top one :)

18. Stephanie says:

congratulations! this is so exciting for you!!!
    and that top cake is stunning!!!!!!
    AND THATS so exciting you did the cookies for Kendra, how fantastic!

19. I’ve been away for much to long – always love reading your blog :)

20. Rachael says:

Hey there! So if you get a chance, check out my blog I tested out that design this weekend. The frosting became a little choppy since I had to start over a couple of times, but overall it turned out pretty cute. Again, your tutorial made it SUPER easy to understand and I appreciate you taking the time to post your tips!

21. Christy says:

So going to try that cake technique!! What a great idea! And love, love, love the cakes, as always!

22. El says:

This is incredibly helpful. Thanks for the tips!

23. chefectomy says:

I am very impressed with what you have accomplished Mel. Too bad I don’t need to get married again :)

–Marc

24. Alice Hu says:

That is a piece of art! You make it sound and look so easy.

25. Madison says:

I LOVE the new look of the website! very classy xoxo

26. rita says:

This cake is so lovely!! And your desserts! o my. I think i may have drooled looking at all your yummy desserts! My wedding is coming up in March, 2010… and I would LOVE to have a dessert bar…or cake…or both! :) My fiance and I will have to set up an apt. with you :)

27. Annalisa says:

Hi, I was looking at the tutorial, and it’s great, but I was wondering if you could help me on something that I seem to be having trouble with, well two things. First, with my fondant, I seem to not be able to get all the folds out of the base of each tier. Is there a trick you use to get out the creases? And my next question is, when I am making a cake it seems to pudge out between the layers where the filling is. Before I put the filling in I put a “dam” of frosting around the edge to hold the filling in and prevent it from getting into the final coat of frosting. Is there something special you do for your cakes? Thanks for your help!!

28. You are SUCH a dessert genius my eyes hurt!! Take it from someone who makes desserts for a living…(practical, vegan, raw ones, w/healing ingredients, therapeutic) but yours are truly edible ART!!!
    Thanks for sharing this tutorial!! (I’ve never baked a thing in my life…not so much as a cookie!) However you just may inspire me to make a brownie or something!! Outstanding!!!
    :) Candy

29. [...] tiered wedding cake?  The cake artist was kind enough to include more pictures AND a simple tutorial for this technique in case you are interested in trying it for yourself! [...]

30. [...] the LBC she’s sweetening the wait with a little “how to” magic on the above cake. Click here how you can do this at home! Comments [...]

31. Cathi says:

I love your work and I have been looking everywhere for a site to generously share their techniques as you have done. Huge question… I am making wedding cake shaped cookies for my daughter’s wedding as a take home favor. I am desperately looking for a cookie recipe and technique tips, similar to the cookies in a bakery, but I have not been successful. Do you have a recipe and tips to go along with it? Thanks so much!