Creating Custom Cakes…

As a cake designer I definitely tend to enjoy making high-end, fashion forward wedding cakes more than party cakes, but recently I have started being more selective with the party cake orders I have been taking and only choosing ones that I really feel I can put my own spin on them.  I don’t want to copy any party cakes or pump out a million kids cakes a weekend (like a lot of bakeries do)…I went into this business to be a custom cake shop where my clients would have one-of-a-kind cakes that reflected their styles and types of events.  This past year I have tried to start using a lot more new techniques at the shop and really utilize everyone’s talents on my team.  I tend to want to do everything myself since I ran my business like that for almost 2 years, but these past few months I have been inspired and honored to work with people on my team.  I try to push them harder and help them refine their talents and skills and I find they are doing the same for me.  So before I show these fabulous photos I have to give  a shout out to Susie, Louisa, Heather, Sara, Tim, Rosie, and Geoff!!!  I have been so blessed with such a wonderful team and of course I could never do it without my sweet Mommy & Daddy…you’re the best parents a girl could ask for!

This first cake was actually for a a old school friend of mine.  She contacted me a couple weeks ago as she was planning her mother’s 50th surprise birthday party and wanted a fashion forward cake.  This cake was definitely a little challenging, but in the end I was quite happy with it.

IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

The high heel was mainly made out of white chocolate and then covered in fondant.  I printed the Prada label on edible frosting sheets and used fondant to make the edible pearls and brooch.  The shoe box was covered in black fondant and then we put a white damask pattern on it to spice it up a little.

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

This next cake was for a little girl’s birthday party.  Of course all little girls dream of princesses and castles so we made a three tier castle cake and added the Disney princesses to the cake.

IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

IMG_4231.JPG

Anther kid’s cake that we recently made was for a little girl’s first birthday party and her Grandma wanted a Betty Boop theme…this is what I came up with!

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

This American flag cake was for a party honoring a past army admiral and I thought Heather did a great job on the painting!

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

And last, but not least is a three tier topsy turvy cake we recently made.  This cake was fun because each tier of the cake celebrated one daughter in the family.  The top tier was for the little baby, the middle tier was for the little girl who loved Strawberry Shortcake, and the bottom tier was for the pre-teen who loved fashion.  I had a lot of fun making this cake and thought Susie & Sara did a great job helping me with it!

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4239.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4240.JPG

Well, I hope you enjoyed stopping by and definitely let us know what cake you liked the best!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Creating Custom Cakes…”

1. love them all!!!! so so so impressed by the prada pump :)

2. kate holt says:

wow..those are insane. I cannot image the patience and skill and LOVE that goes into each one. It’s art you can eat!

3. amber says:

Beautiful artistry! I love the topsy turvy one best – all 3 tiers are so different, but they come together magically.

4. Joanna says:

These are wonderful creations!

5. They’re all beautiful, but I’m partial to the one with the prada shoe and the beautiful black cut-out designs.

6. Kimm Geria says:

The Prada pump one is my favorite but… Strawberry Shortcake is my 2nd very cute. Your creations are amazing.

7. Gorgeous cakes! Gorgeous as ever!

8. jana says:

Melody! I definetelly love the shoe and the shoe box! They look really perfect. I hope it fitted the lady you made it for.

9. Canada says:

You are so talented. I love the Prada Cake – do you ship to Canada? :)

10. Jacqueline says:

Love this post featuring so many of your wonderful cakes! Thanks for sharing them…can’t wait to see more!

11. jen says:

I adore the Prada cake, and I’m not even a shoe kind of gal. They’re all beautiful though – you and your team should be very proud of your work.

12. Laura says:

I grew up in the 80′s so I’m a huge Strawberry Shortcake fan so I’m going to have to say that that’s my fav cake although they’re all fabulous! : )

13. Katie says:

Incredible! (As always.) I seriously cannot pick a favorite!!

14. I reallly like the last cake altough the one with the shoe and the princesses are also very nice. well to tel,you the truth i really don t know whichone I like best, they re all so nice :)
    I also made a Betty boop cake here s the link if you want to take a look http://snookydoodlecakes.blogspot.com/2009/11/betty-boop-cake.html

15. Anita says:

Just found your site! It’s amazing!! Those cakes are so fantastic, you and your team must get a lot of happy customers.

16. Wow! You’ve got some amazing chances to test your creativity!! I lovee the princess castle cake!

17. Amazing cakes, as always you are so talented and bless to have a great team and great family to support you.

18. Jean says:

I love that you make each cake unique and special for the customer. The detail in the Prada cake was just amazing. I had to keep reminding myself that it was truly a cake and not real! Everything looks too wonderful to eat!

19. cakebrain says:

My girls would absolutely covet the pink princess cake! It’s got all the elements a little girl would want!

20. Karen says:

They are like children..you love each one differently, but all equally….:).. of course you are the sweetest and sauciest one of ALL!

21. Irene says:

Hi ! your website is wonderful! I’m curious, did you make your own fondant or did you use certain kind of fondant products? seriously it seems that your cake use lots of them. thank you and god bless.

22. sarah says:

I agree with Laura. I’m a fan of Strawberry shortcake from the 80s so that is my favourite cake too. Your attention to detail is impressive on some of those cakes. Are all the cake accessories edible?

23. Rituparna says:

I just fell totally in love with the three tier princess cake …

24. Hanny says:

Love the shoes box and the Betty Boop cake! ;)

25. Natalia says:

I have had this blog bookmarked for awhile and have been keep up with it. This, however is my first comment to be left because I just could not stay silent any longer.

I absolutely LOVE what you do! Everything you do is evident of the heart and soul that you put into each creation. The class, elegance, beauty and whimsy of your creations put them on a level of perfection all their own.

I adore the intimacy and whimsy that your delectable, little bites lend to each occasion, of which I’m sure your clients’ events would not have been complete without!

Thank you for your dedication. Thank you for your inspiration. Thank you for sharing your journey that encourages the rest of us to go out and try our own hand at whatever passion drives us in our little part of this great big world.

May you, your family and your cake shop have a Happy New Year and see many more!

26. Lindsey says:

I absolutely love your site! Your cakes are beautiful!

27. judy says:

I love love love the princess cake!!!! Your work is amazing. Did you use a textured mold to create the brick pattern or did all that by hand? I am making a spiderman cake and would love to have a brick building. If anyone can help asap birthday is in November! Thanks.

28. janet says:

Wow your cakes are amazing!!! My daughters 4th birthday is coming up in mid november…. She wants a princess castle cake, and this looks perfect. I have zero experience in making cakes like this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

29. CakerBaker says:

Although I often see cakes online that I admire, this is my first time to ever leave a comment. But after seeing your three tier cake where each tier had a different theme I just HAD to leave a comment letting you know how much i love Love LOVE that idea! So original! Definitely something I will do for my own three daughters!!