New Special Occasion Cakes!

Although we do mostly wedding cakes at the shop we also love making special occasion cakes to help people celebrate that special day in their lives!  These types of cakes can sometimes require a lot more work and detail then wedding cakes, but I find that it’s all or nothing when it comes to them because when you say you will make someone a cake that replicates a real life item it either looks like it or not…not too much room for error.  With that being said, my big undertaking this month was a DJ Turntable Cake.  I was pretty happy with how it came out, but definitely underestimated the hours I would have to put into it!

IMG_8605.JPG

IMG_8608.JPG

IMG_8614.JPG

And since it was a 1st Birthday Cake we added a special element for the birthday boy!

IMG_8611.JPG

This next cake was for a 25th birthday party!  She loved peacock feathers and knew her color scheme, so we took that and ran with it!  My sister made the sugar flower and feathers and I think they are amazing!

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

Kid’s cakes are a lot of fun too, but I try to make sure they still follow my style and don’t get too overdone…here is a Panda Bear Cake with tiny sugar flowers and butterflies!

IMG_8441.JPG

IMG_8459.JPG

My assistant, Louisa, made the Panda Bear and I think it turned out great! I love the half smile and cute little face!

IMG_8450.JPG

IMG_8453.JPG

Now sometimes people don’t have a lot of money to spend on a special occasion cake, but want something beautiful and delicious, so I always suggest the rustic style cream cheese frosting cakes with fresh flower accents because I think they are just as gorgeous in their own simplistic way!

IMG_8628.JPG

We also got to do a recent Sweet Sixteen Birthday Cake and she wanted a princess tiara crown and a bold sugar flower!

IMG_8408.JPG

IMG_8403.JPG

IMG_8407.JPG

Lastly one of my favorite cakes recently was for a small wedding we did last weekend.  My new intern, Kyong, is definitely an artist and when I showed her the design I wanted to have painted on the cake she did it better than I could’ve imagined.  I was also quite happy with this garden rose sugar flower I made.  I wasn’t sure how I would like the flower once it had the red tips on it, but I was pleasantly surprised…I think it made it pop and really showed the gorgeous petals off!

S&SCakefinal-7

S&SCakefinal-8

Well thanks for stopping by to check out my blog!  I’m currently in Texas and about to run off to my first day of class with Mike McCarey! We will be learning cake structure for crazy cakes and will be remaking this fantastic Big Bird Cake that Mike made for a Food Network Competition…wish me luck!

DSC_1071

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “New Special Occasion Cakes!”

1. justJENN says:

Wow – that turntable is amazing! Love the last red tipped flower too – it’s perfect!

2. Love everything! Absolutely gorgeous work, as always! I adore that last wedding cake -the painting is awesome and your flower is one of the prettiest I’ve seen. I am curious though, how does a 1 year old get a DJ turn table as a birthday cake? Musically inclined parents? ;-)

3. Amazing! I love love love the turn tables.

4. Liana says:

The handpainted image on the cake is fantastic, that must take some steady hands! Fab work on all accounts x

5. gorgeous gorgeous cakes! the turntable cake is incredible!! i will be calling you soon for my bday cake. ;-) have fun in TX!! xo

6. MandiCrocker says:

Wow, lady… just incredible!!!

7. Kris says:

Good luck Melody! Love the cakes!

8. Oh – my – gosh!!! All of the cakes are amazing! I love the last two, but the turntable cake is awesome! Going to show these to my husband who was a pastry chef at one time. He will love them too!

9. Simply fantastic….like everything else you do. The hubs would die if I showed up with that turntable cake for his bday….the details on it are awesome!

10. Mandi says:

That DJ cake is so intricate…as are most of your cakes. You put such attention into the details and it shows…Beautiful. what else can I say? Good luck with Big Bird. I really enjoy your blog. :)

11. RLV says:

The turntables are soo awesome! My boyfriend is a DJ, and he would absolutely loooove this. :)

12. Good luck:) I LOVE the look of the rustic cheese cake frosting cakes. They are really charming!

13. sarah says:

Wow. These are beautiful & yummy:) I’ve been following your work for a while and you do an amazing job- you are truly an artist. Keep it up!

14. olivia s. says:

I love the painting on the cake! Beautiful! How do you paint on fondant like that?

15. Ashleigh says:

I have no idea how I got turned on to your site/blog, but your work is fantastic. I can’t wait for a reason to come and order a specialty cake or visit your shop for some sweet treats. Thanks for sharing.

16. Sandy says:

You make the most beautiful cakes, my favorite is also the painted cake with a garden flower. I’m really inspired by your awesome cakes, they are simple yet very elegant, and it has a signature look that is so you, i also want my cakes to look like that. Very awesome post =) Goodluck on your big bird cake =)

17. Lauren says:

I love all your cakes! Good luck recreating Big Bird…that cake looks so cool!

18. Dayanara says:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE all of your cakes…the details are so amazing. To be as talented as you *sigh* Do you have any tutorials or any suggestions on where to find any to make those beautiful peonies? love them…also how to you get your black color…i am using wilton and it tastes awful when i make a really good black…thanks!

19. faithy says:

Awesome cakes!! I love the turntable one..it’s awesome and love all the details. Of course i love all your wedding cakes too..they are always so elegant and so beautiful. Do let us know how your Big Bird turns out! :) Looking forward to your next posting!

20. brandy says:

WOW! All the cakes are amazing! I think you should start doing tutorials on how you create such beautiful designs for your cakes!

21. Shirley says:

It’s hard to know where to start because your work is just breath-taking! I have to applaud you for giving brides with a small budget a beautiful option…kudos on such a beautiful design. And to be able to work with Mike — yikes — I loved watching him create Big Bird — just gorgeous! Have a great time.

22. Wow those cakes are spectacular!! You must enjoy exploring your creativity through these! ANd lucky you with the classes. I’d LOVE to take some :)

23. hannah B. says:

i’m loving these cakes Melody! The hand painted cake with the Rose is so beautiful and clean…nice work chicas

24. so many lovely creations, just spectecular to see! amazing work! :)

25. lyndsay says:

great span of different types of cakes– i love the black peacock feathers especially, and the bright blood-red rose… and the white rose with the red tips… really beautiful.

and of course, big bird = BONKERS!

26. Claudia says:

I was absolutely enamoured with the intricate work you did on that turn table.
    A real show stopper. I applaud your talent.
    It was nice to drop in.
    Keep up the great creativity!
    Claudia (aka Foodessa)

27. Andrea says:

i am such a fan of the food network show and i absolutly LOVED the big bird cake mr. Mike did. I thought it was fablous. I cannot believe you know this genius. Well, if you do ever see him again, let him know his work is greatly appericated. That was beastly.

28. [...] We have a friend who just got married last September who had a very similar cake to this one from My Sweet & Saucy.  The wedding we attended included a very traditional ceremony and beautifully decorated [...]