Another Amazing Ron Ben Israel Class!!!

Well first off I have to apologize that this post has taken me SOOO long to get up, but with that being said it doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking about writing this post for a long time. As most of you probably know, last year I had the pleasure of taking a class with Ron Ben Israel, who is definitely one of the most amazing and inspiring cake designers that I know. I am constantly enthralled with his new designs and innovations and I know taking any class with him is money well worth it! After I took that class I heard of another class on “Making Your Own Sugar Molds” and once I told my sister she said she HAD to go!

She had the time of her life at the class and learned so much information! Ron is a wealth of knowledge and she so appreciated all of his help, tips, and techniques. We have put into practice this new technique of making silicone molds out of everyday objects and then using them to make custom sugar or chocolate molds for our cakes. This allows us to customize our cakes like never before, because now when we make a mold it is unique and not everyone can buy it to replicate on another cake. We are constantly now scouring flea markets, ebay, old jewelry cases…you name it, we want to make a mold out of it!. Well enough blabbing from me, but before I go I want to say once again if you ever have the chance to take a class from Ron Ben Israel it is worth every penny! Here are some fun photos of the class in action!

IMG_3287

IMG_3291

IMG_3292

IMG_3294

IMG_3295

Sara made these two custom molds by taking smaller jewel molds and combining them together to make a larger mold.  For the second mold she actually braided the sugar paste around a jewel mold and then made it into a custom shaped mold…love it!  My sister is truly so talented and I really don’t know what I would do without her, she makes me a better cake designer and pushes me more than anyone else!

IMG_3315

IMG_3317

Ron also taught the class how to make blinged out poppy sugar flowers!

IMG_3310

IMG_3296

IMG_3312

IMG_3323

IMG_3320

Now Sara, since bless her heart she is a perfectionist to the T, didn’t finish the cake at the class, but here is a photo of Ron & her with her cute, unfinished cake anyway!

IMG_3330

So the main reason why I waited SOOO long to write this post is because we both wanted to post a photo of the finished cake along with the rest of the photos.  As you might have guessed, we were a little busy at the shop and it took us awhile to finish it. We wanted the cake to be elegant, modern, and glamorous.  We made some more custom jewel molds and even took apart the flowers she made in class and combined them into one larger flower with a black center.  We added a middle tier to the cake too, so that it was a little larger overall.  The final cake has to be one of our favorites so far!

IMG_9325.JPG

IMG_9317.JPG

IMG_9333.JPG

And here is another cake we made using Ron’s mold technique. We found this amazing little mum brooch at the local flea market and knew we had to make a mold out of it.  We wanted the cake to be modern, clean, with a vintage touch!

IMG_9308.JPG

IMG_9298.JPG

Thank you SO much again Ron for your dedication to the craft and your willingness to share your knowledge!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Another Amazing Ron Ben Israel Class!!!”

1. Once again, I am blown away! Seeing your new amazing creations always makes my day a little better:)

2. Naja says:

OK. That’s my wedding cake. I have zero plans to get married any time soon, but that cake with the mum brooch is absolutely ME!

Great work and it looks like it was a fun class!

Happy flea-marketing!

Naja

3. julie says:

You and your sister are quite the talented team! Bravo!

4. Amer says:

How awesome…

And I have to say, its a little sad that this is the first I have seen of Sara with her short hair…she needs a spanking…but is as beautiful as ever.

5. Aunt Lynda says:

Sara is amazing!!!!

6. janarhodes says:

……. no words …..
    ……. speechless ……
    ……. oh my God! ……
    …….. fabulous!………
    …….. fantastic!……….
    …….. gorgeous! ……..

just looooooooove your designs…. you sister is also a piece of artist! great work!

7. Allison says:

I truly amazes me that you can eat something so beautiful! Seriously that is a stunning cake! Nice work Mel… ha I think it’s like a truly edible art, pretty and tastes good! fabulous!

8. Hey Melody! Is that Chef Boada in that pic called 192.jpg?! I recognize her from school! Was the class in NYC?

9. Wanda says:

lovely, beautiful, awesome, great work girls. you all make such a wonderful team. can’t wait to see more of your team work! congrats and God bless!

10. Dognbird says:

Rad behind the scenes look!

11. Stunning work!! This is such a fabulous post.

12. Gorgeous – I love the green Mums cake!!! I don’t know that I’d be able to cut into it though, it’s too lovely!

13. Ashley says:

Love the cakes! Very beautiful! How hard is it to find food same silicone to use for your molds?

14. amazing work, i wish I can create beautiful cake like yours, Melody u should come to Kuala Lumpur, Iam sure there will be a lot of cake deco here would luv to attend your class.

15. Megan says:

WOW! That black and white cake is one of the most gorgeous I’ve ever seen! Would have been perfect for my own wedding! Congratulations on a beautiful job!

16. Oh my!! These cakes are beyond fabulous!! I’d love to learn how you make your own molds, it would be amazing for me to know, since I live in the baking underground of the world, India!

17. Marilyn says:

Gorgeous, amazing cakes! And the flowers~wow!
    I love the lace on the cakes and the elegant touch you give to all your cakes.
    Please, if you can, give me the website you order your lace molds from. And can you recommend a book to purchase on ‘how to make these beautiful anenome and other flowers’?
    Your faithful follower in Saskatchewan, Canada.

18. I was right in front of Sara during that class. It was the best class ever!! That’s me behind Ron in the gray striped shirt. I came all the way from NY and can’t wait to go back and take another class with him. I absolutely love love love your blog!!! – Mary

19. Dante Nuno says:

Greetings!

Can you tell me what medium you used to make the molds in Rob Ben-Israel’s class? Did he show you how to make the liquid mold medium and where to purchase it?

Thanks!