Carved Cakes: Soccer Ball & Nike Shoe

For those blog followers of mine who have been following me since the beginning they know that I use to do a lot of tutorials and I really quite enjoyed doing them! Sadly with the growth of my business I haven’t had very much time to do in depth tutorials, but quite often I get asked to do more of them.  The past couple of months we have been doing a lot more sculpted cakes and I thought that I would photograph the steps a little bit more in hopes that the visuals would give a peak into how we made them.  I hope you enjoy it & learn a thing or two…I know I do every time we do one of these cakes :)

First up was a cake we got requested for a rehearsal dinner.  The groom loved his Nike Air Jordan shoes and his fiance wanted us to recreate his favorite pair.  It was a lot of fun & quite yummy too!  Here are the photots!

IMG_1202

You definitely have to first start with really delicious cake…for this cake it was chocolate nutella hazelnut cake!

IMG_1171

IMG_1178

IMG_1179

I then always coat my cakes in swiss meringue buttercream and normally fondant too.

IMG_1180

IMG_1181

Time for the details and boy were there a lot of them.

IMG_1196

IMG_1197

I forgot to photograph some details along the way, so my apologies, but here is the final cake!

IMG_1210

IMG_1203

IMG_1208

IMG_1218

IMG_1213

IMG_1222

IMG_1220

The other fun carved cake we did that week was for another groom’s cake.  This time the bride wanted us to make her husband, who was a huge Liverpool fan, a large soccer ball complete with the Liverpool logo!

IMG_1262

This time we started with carrot cake & cream cheese frosting!

IMG_1229

IMG_1231

IMG_1233

IMG_1230

IMG_1235

I put one large dowel in the middle of the cake and cut it to the top of the cake just for a little extra stability.

IMG_1236

Once I have the basic shape then I start fine tuning the shape with a serrated knife and then put a layer of swiss meringue buttercream over the whole cake.

IMG_1237

Kyong made the job a lot easier when she brought in a cookie cutter in the shape of a pentagon.  Then we printed off the computer a shape of a hexagon that matched the sides of the pentagon and laminated it with tape.  These are the shapes we used to cut the basic puzzle pieces for this soccer ball cake.  We had also previously fondanted a cake board with green fondant for the soccer ball to sit on it.

IMG_1238

IMG_1243

IMG_1244

The finished soccer ball, now all we have to add in the edible printed logo for the Liverpool team.

IMG_1246

IMG_1253

IMG_1251

Hope you enjoyed the photos!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Carved Cakes: Soccer Ball & Nike Shoe”

1. faithy says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I love seeing how cakes are being carved and all these step by step photos are brilliant for us still learning the ropes of cake decorating! Thanks!!

2. Diana says:

I second faithy! is great, I love to see the behind the seens takes too.

Thanks!

3. jami says:

Really great to see all the steps, and the cakes came out great! I’m trying to learn more about working with fondant (sculpting) and having it not dry and crack. Do you ever teach classes or do hands-on tutorials for locals?

4. nina says:

Simply awesome stuff. My children loved the edible Nike even more than their real Nikes!

5. That is incredible! I could never do this even with your great tutorial.

6. Julie says:

Thanks for the pics and how-to. Just wondering how you clean up your fondant and make it all shiny when you’re done?

7. Jackie says:

how do you get the fondant shiny like that?

8. Alisa says:

This is wonderful!

9. Eric says:

:-D Thanks for making my groomscake Melody! It looked so real and all the details were PERFECT! It was so hard not to cut into it!! It was definitely the show stopper that night and is still being talked about to this day :)

10. robin says:

How do u make the fondant shine?????

11. Kimberly Clark says:

Do you have a template you use? How do you make the Nike guy?

12. Ruby Gurrola says:

How did you make the laces go through the hoops and look so real ?
    & How did you manage to put the Jordan jump man on there (the Logo)

Email me the full instructions please

rubygurrola@Hotmail.com

13. chanticha says:

Loved it! The cakes are fantastic. Thank you for sharing, I truly appreciate it.

14. Aisha G says:

This was awesome!! I would also like to know how you made the fondant look shiny:) thanks so much this helped alot!

15. Kim says:

Awesome cake! Thanks for sharing with us. How did you get the Air Jordan symbol so perfect? Please help, I want to make a similar shoe for my son today. Thanks again :)

16. Megan says:

I tried really hard to make a Jordan cake for my boyfriend las year for his birthday but failed miserably. The concords that you made are his favorite Jordan’s as well so I have a couple of questions for you. First, how did you shape the shoe? Did you just layer the cake or did you shape the sides like we’re it dips in for the arch of the foots. And also, did you freeze your cake to make it more firm to work with? I have heard that recommended before. Thank you so much for your help!

17. Megan says:

And also, how did you make the other pieces of fondant stick to the original layer of fondant? And did you go over the fondant afterwords with water or something to get rid of the powder sugar or corn starch residue that was left over from when you were rolling out the fondant and were preventing it from sticking?

18. Tonya says:

Hello lovely cake I would like to know how you made the jumpman if you don’t mind sharing…I have been trying to get him right for a while now…Thanks

19. Susan Billings says:

Hello,

My twins are turning sixteen and I would love to give them this cake for their sweet sixteen can you possibly give me a quote?

Susan

20. Marilyn Seay says:

Thank you very much , I’m in the process of making an Michael Jordan shoe for my grandson. This will help out alot. I got the bottom done just got stuck on how to do the top. Thanks alot. Marilyn

21. Rhonda says:

Thank you for sharing your tutorial. I have a soccer ball I have to do very soon and this helped so much!!!

22. Fran says:

I am in the process of creating a similar sneaker cake and was wondering how you did the jumping man logo? It is so small and intricate. Did you create a template and use an exacto knife to cut it out? At this small a size I cant believe its even doable. Please help!!

Fran

23. venessa says:

Can I get full for jordan cake and how you made fondant shine and logos so perfect
    Thanks
    nessaremo@gmail.com

24. Vanessa says:

Hi I would like to know how u made the jumpman. Also, of u can please share the full tutorial please. Thank

25. Vanessa says:

Sorry i forgot to leave my e-mail. Nessa.maldonado@yahoo.com

26. Simone says:

how did you shape the black detais and put it on the cake.
    how did you get the black to shine.

27. Nyldy says:

Hello! You’re Nike cake was so great! Are you accepting orders?